PDA

View Full Version : The Best Crappie Lake in the US?

tmeandr
12-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I want to make a special trip to celebrate my pending big "5-0" birthday. I have been considering making it a Crappie based trip. I have heard mixed reviews about Weiss Lake in AL. I have heard recently that the best lakes are Enid and Grenada in MS.

What do you say?

How do I find a guide? The web appears to be limited when it comes to guide availability for the two MS lakes.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

TE

TnRidge
12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Ky. lake is a good lake too .

mike_3720
12-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I like Weiss Lake, it's my home lake. Try this web site:Weiss Lake Alabama Crappie,Striper and Bass Fishing Guide (http://www.markcollinsguideservice.com/home.html)

Cane Pole
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I like Weiss Lake, it's my home lake. Try this web site:Weiss Lake Alabama Crappie,Striper and Bass Fishing Guide (http://www.markcollinsguideservice.com/home.html)

Checked ya out. Never heard of anyone selling waypoints before. I got thousands of em on Ky Lake. I just give them away.........

CRAPPIEHUNTER68
12-30-2008, 04:50 PM
In my opinion Grenada Lake is the best lake if you are looking to catch that 3 pounder. Enid would be a close second for the 3 pound crappie.
My advise to you would be carefully pick a guide and let them guide you to the lake that is best for the time you have available to fish. If it were me I would take a shot with either a National Champion on the crappie tournament trail John Woods or John Harrison a consistent top performer on Grenada Lake. Both of these are great guides and will be entertaining as well as very good at what they do. You can find either of them at www.*************** | Dedicated to Crappie! (http://www.***************)

Mopar Matt
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I've been fishing Weiss in the spring and fall since 92 and it is a great lake, however the last few years it hasn't produced like it used to. You might go and have a limit before 10am everyday or fish all day for just a dozen keepers. For a big trip I would look for Grenada or Eufala they seem to be more consistent than Coosa river lakes now.

HunterShewmaker
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Kentucky Lake

8fishermen
12-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Climb on the LA, MS, and AL boards and look at fishing reports and big fish threads. I believe MS holds record for white crappie and LA for black. Any of these three states are subject to breaking the record next. There are a lot of really nice fish caught down here ever year. Find a guide you like and fish his lake and you will have a blast. After all, its the chasing that is the fun part. The catching is the icing on the cake. Not sure where you are from, but you stand to see some really neat wildlife even if you don't catch a lot of fish. While just fishing Ross Barnett, I have seen... Blue Herring, Eagle, fox, bobcats, snakes, turtles, alligators, beavers, nutria, hawks, owls, wild hogs, deer, waterfowl, more birds than I can name, coons, and many others just to name a few.

All that said, Y'all pack a pole, come on down, and "sit a spell" where they are "as big as they grow"!

CRAPPIEHUNTER68
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey Cane Pole those waypoints you got come with a guarantee? I must have 2000 points I got with the Hydrographics. I was amazed how accurate they were.

possumcop
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
It depends alot on if you want to catch alot of fish or you want to try to catch big fish. Each of the Ms. lakes are popular for different reasons.

Cane Pole
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey Cane Pole those waypoints you got come with a guarantee? I must have 2000 points I got with the Hydrographics. I was amazed how accurate they were.

Yep. I recommend these maps to anyone who fishes Ky Lake. The trick is:

Where to start and where to finish........;)

jhef
12-31-2008, 03:55 PM
i got a place down weiss, and honestly weiss isnt what its built up to me, its way over rated, if it was me id head over to grenada , be sure to get a guide for the first trip or so,im planning a trip over to grenada myself its definately a big fish lake...that crappie sign of the world crap is just a sign that someone made trying to promote the lake..it hooked me lol another good lake around here in bama is lake guntersville, its known for the bass fishing but the crappie on guntersville is awesome..

SpeckWick
12-31-2008, 08:35 PM
I've ben to Kentucky several times with mixed results, but it's a great crappie lake. The best single day of crappie fishing I ever had was on Weiss two years ago in mid March. Size and numbers. Limited out casting jigs around docks and beds by early afternoon with several 2 pounders and none under 12". The next day a front moved in and we fished all day for 10 or 12 keepers. Bottom line is any of these lakes can be the best lake out there on any given day. The weather in the spring can mean more than the lake a lot of times. I personally haven't been to any of the Mississippi lakes, but I plan to get there before long. No matter where you go, get on those states' state forum on here and ask around. Find out the best time of the spring to go and HIRE A GUIDE. At least the first day. Those guys know what the weather changes do to their lakes, so they can likely put you on 'em no matter the conditions.

tmeandr
01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
The feedback in these forums never ceases to amaze me. This is exactly what I had hoped for when I posted this.

I hear you when you say that the "Crappie Capital of the World" could be a sign put up by some shop keeper to bring in trade. That has to be considered for sure. But, when you check the guides (at least the ones on the www) the photos that are posted sure show a higher catch rate than any other lake's guide seem to show. The Weiss Lake folks either have more time to spend "Photo Shopping" their picture so that they look like they catch more fish. Or.... they clearly have higher catch rates than Enid / Grenada / KY / Barkley any of the other refutedly crappie special lakes.

Now, we know we have to be skeptical, and the www is not an unimpeachable source of information, but on the surface at the moment Weiss sure seems the pre-eminent crappie lake. The photos indicate catches are in 2008 and are numerous and plentiful. Some of the other sites indicate the last updates on photos are previous years. As stated that could mean that the other sites are busier catching fish and are not as good at updating web sites. But, it does make me wonder.:confused:

Also, thank you for the direction to check the state based forum here in this site. I have not done so yet, but that is a fantastic idea that I will follow up on.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful insight, I truly appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,

T.E.

SpeckWick
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey tmeandr, my first trip to Weiss is what got me on this site originally. I heard about crappie.com and since I was looking for info and advice on my Weiss trip I joined. As you can see by the amount of babbling I've done since by the number of posts, I haven't been disappointed at all. Great site. Great people. Limitless amount of help and advice.
I am going to Weiss in late march with a group of guys and likely staying at Pruetts Fish Camp and fishing a lot in the Cowan Creek area. If that's the time of year you're looking to go down, shoot me a pm and give me your info and I'll let you know if we are on them. There are some great guides there on Weiss. Go to the Alabama forum and you'll find 'em. Just ask. As for the catches, I'd say they are legit. I know guys who have went out with some of the guides with great results. Word of mouth is a big part of the guides' business. If they post fake pics online, especially on here, and then guys come down and get skunked.....Bad word of mouth is ten times worse than anything good someone could say, so I doubt a reputable guide would doctor his catch pics.

rieve
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
You may want to check out lake Greeson in Arkansas Jerry at Actionfishingtrips.com will put you on some good crappie for sure and he also catches several fish over 2 pounds.

Big Crappie
01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I've lived near this lake all my life and began fishing it around 3-4 years of age (I'm told) back in the mid-sixties. I have always hated that it was nicknamed "The Crappie Capital of the World" back in the late '70's when it was in it's true hayday where the average size fish was a true 1 1/2 -1 3/4 lb. 13" - 15" fish. We had limits of 50+ /person back then also.

Like every lake, she cycles depending on successful spawns. She'll have up and down years. But all in all, she steadily keeps producing under adverse conditions.

Let me explain my definition of adverse conditions relating to Weiss.
#1. Mother nature.
#2 Weiss is a hydroelectric impoundment.
#3 Stripers ability to successfully reproduce in the river's feeding lake.
My personal opinion is that stripers do have a negative impact on crappie.
#4 This is the Biggie: PRESSURE! I have fished over 35 differents lakes all over the SE. Each lake had it's own different characteristic. Some were good, some were great in their own way (maybe size, numbers, methods used to catch them, ETC.) and some were just plain awful. But nowhere have I seen a lake that recieves as much pressure acre for acre as Weiss. As I understand, Cherokee Co. Al has sold over 80 -90% of all nonresident licenses each year for the whole state for over the last 25 years. During peak season, their is at least 15 - 25 guides on the lake every day, not to mention all the vacation fishermen that are on the water. How many lakes do you know of that have that many guides targeting only crappie.

I have not been to another lake that gets this kind of pressure and keeps rebounding. As bad as I hate to admit it, Weiss gets my vote as "The Crappie Capital of the World" because of the conditions listed above.

Yes their are other lakes that produce bigger or more fish out there, but I'll bet you the amount of pressure is nowhere near what Weiss gets.

To those of you that have concerns of photo's being tampered with.
Jason, Mark, Kelly and Dariel are not the kind of people that would do that.
They are all a class act!

badbrad
01-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Made my first trip to Weiss in February 08. Big Crappie is right about the fishing pressure. Never seen so many boats fishing for crappie in my life. We had terrible weather conditions the 2 1/2 days I was there. A sharp cold front came through and really slowed things down. Still managed to catch several fish. I'd consider Weiss a numbers lake, but for size I'll take KY/Lake over them any day. I do plan on hitting Grenada this spring.

Phantom309
01-02-2009, 07:25 AM
I was thinking that these lakes around here (Central Fla) were surely over fished with all the boats I see out there on a weekend, but, I gotta say, you guys up there in the Ky/Tenn area surely got probably several times as many as we do, just from the reputation that flows out of that area.
Is a double edge sword, being proud of one's fishing area, braggin bout it, then it becomes a beacon attracting tooo many folks.

rnvinc
01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
I fish ky/barkley exclusively because they're in my 'backyard'....

One thing I seem to notice about the fishing methods used here is that ky/barkley crappie fishermen are mostly targeting the following methods;

Casting jigs
Vertical jigs (1 pole or 2 poles in hand)
"Ky lake rig" minnow dunking

I'm starting to see a few spider rigging now (especially in Jonathon creek)

Still no long line trollers to speak of....
Still no long line crankbaiters to speak of.....
Still no 'pullin jigs' as Bill Dance calls it (hand held TM of side of boat..drifting)
Uhhh..what other methods am I forgetting???

A crappie fisherman coming to ky/barkley might try some of the under used methods and give the fish a presentation they're not used to.....

yankee doodler
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Checked ya out. Never heard of anyone selling waypoints before. I got thousands of em on Ky Lake. I just give them away.........

Yeah but that's because you're Cane Pole and you just love to hep others catch fish...some gotta make money to feel good.

Cane Pole
01-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah but that's because you're Cane Pole and you just love to hep others catch fish...some gotta make money to feel good.

My pals Jerry Blake and Darryl Morris give waypoints away too. They build stuff and give the location to help others. My hat is off to the both of them for this deed.

It would bother my conscious to sell something that really doesn't belong to me and sell it repeatedly. But, this is just me. I am not passing judgment. Folks can do what they want.

crapster
01-04-2009, 02:06 AM
reelfoot lake definetly one of the best panfish producing lakes anywhere.
quality and quanity at its best.most of all its beauty is second to none.

laserdoc
01-04-2009, 07:21 AM
I make a drive almost everyweekend over to Lake Weiss to fish. Its a 2 hour drive for me and I have yet been skunked. Always come home with at least enough for two dinners and sometimes more. Last season I ended up with over 30 pounds of fillets in the frezzer. Thats alot of dinners for the 3 of us. I live in Atlanta and Lake Laneir is about 5 miles from my house ,but I still make the drive over to Weiss all the time. Talked to a guide friend of mine yesterday and he said he had a trip on the 3rd and they limited out by 2:30 and started throwing back keepers. Trolling has started and the numbers are there!! call Terry
Whaley's Pro Guide Service (http://www.whaleysproguide.com/) Tell him I sent you and you will have the best of the best. He grew up on the lake and will show you spots nobody knows about. When the masses are there on the water he will go someplace and be the only boat and still catch the limit. Don't know what it is about this guy but he sure can find them. Guess he thinks like a fish When Russ Bailey from Midwest Crappie comes down to do a tv show on Weiss it is most often done with Terry. That has to tell you something my friend.
Tighlines to all of you guys!!!

brimreaper
01-05-2009, 03:44 AM
The feedback in these forums never ceases to amaze me. This is exactly what I had hoped for when I posted this.

I hear you when you say that the "Crappie Capital of the World" could be a sign put up by some shop keeper to bring in trade. That has to be considered for sure. But, when you check the guides (at least the ones on the www) the photos that are posted sure show a higher catch rate than any other lake's guide seem to show. The Weiss Lake folks either have more time to spend "Photo Shopping" their picture so that they look like they catch more fish. Or.... they clearly have higher catch rates than Enid / Grenada / KY / Barkley any of the other refutedly crappie special lakes.

Now, we know we have to be skeptical, and the www is not an unimpeachable source of information, but on the surface at the moment Weiss sure seems the pre-eminent crappie lake. The photos indicate catches are in 2008 and are numerous and plentiful. Some of the other sites indicate the last updates on photos are previous years. As stated that could mean that the other sites are busier catching fish and are not as good at updating web sites. But, it does make me wonder.:confused:

Also, thank you for the direction to check the state based forum here in this site. I have not done so yet, but that is a fantastic idea that I will follow up on.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful insight, I truly appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,

T.E.

I don't know you from Adam's house cat T.E. So I expect you to take a strangers advice with a grain of salt but I also have nothing to gain by lying to you either. I have fished Lake Weiss a long time. I have had good days and bad. If you fish Weiss alot and don't get skunked a few times then your counting catching your minnows as catching fish that day. There are days in the spring of the year that you could cut your hooks off and still boat a few fish and the next week explosives wouldn't give you a good limit. If you have never fished Weiss and you choose to make it a special memories trip hire a guide. There are good guides on Weiss and there are bad ones...I know some of both. I use Darrel Baker as a guide at least once a year. I had a hard time hiring a guide at first...I just couldn't justify spending 300 dollars on a day trip on a lake I could take my own boat on and fish. I learned more about crappie fishing in one day with "D. J." Baker than I had amassed in my life prior to that first trip. He is a good guy and he will treat you right I can assure you. He probably spends 2/3 of the year on the water or better and the rest of the time he is figuring out how to catch them when he does go. I highly recommend him and you can tell him I sent you or not...you'll still have a good trip. If the fishing is bad the week you are scheduled to fish he'll let you know and give you the option of rescheduling most of the time. He will earn the money you put out for the trip. All this said to help you find a good place to fish for "5-0". I have heard good things about Grenada but I have never been. I wish you good luck and good fishin....If bad comes to worst pm me and I'll take you fishin on Weiss for nuthin...I make no gaurentees on what we'll catch but we'll have fun...(I've been skunked a bunch of times..sometimes I can't even catch my minners...lol)...again good luck to you......brim

tmeandr
01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
We have chosen to try Weiss Lake and Terry Whaley, actually his son. From all indications we will absolutely slay them the last weekend in March. Of course we have pre-arranged with the fish to be waiting and willing to impale themselves on our hooks for two days regardless of all conditions.

Thanks to all who have entered input for our consideration in making this monumental decision. Come the first of April and our arms have recovered from bringing in all of those crappies and the stray bucket mouth we will post some results.

Keep it in the water, we ain't got many flying fish in these parts.

TE:)

crappie cowboy
01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
It depends alot on if you want to catch alot of fish or you want to try to catch big fish. Each of the Ms. lakes are popular for different reasons.

Ole possumcop is right, if you want numbers of crappie, Sardis Lake is hard to beat. Also lots of crappie fisherman don't realize what a great crappie lake
Bee Lake is.
Bee Lake has some big 3 pound plus crappie in it. I would rate Bee Lake second to Grenada Lake, and I think you can fish more than 3 poles per person, and no 12 inch size limit and 30 fish per day....I think. I haven't fished Bee in 3 yrs.
Bee Lake in on hwy 49E at Thornton, Ms.

crappie cowboy

Big Willie
01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I think REND Lake in Southern Illinois is one of the top 5

whiskerwhipper
01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Lake Cumberland,KY
Lake Vermillion, MN
Both pretty lakes and crappie can be soo easy to catch, they can be caught on worms. If the crappies wont cooperate, walleyes will :)