Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: CaveRun Lake (Morehead Ky)

Post Thanks / Like

Default CaveRun Lake (Morehead Ky)

Hello my fellow crappie fishermen. i was visiting caverun lake this week and noticed the water was a pretty good ways down. i would like to know some good spots to take my little cousin who is from out of town he is in for a couple weeks.. he just found out he had cancer. and he loves to catch crappie i usually go to caverun and bass fish but never crappie fished there. so i signed up on this page. to see if anyone would be a help to me in helping me find some hot crappie spots in caverun lake. if anyone has any information about where to find a hot crappie spot would you e-mail me at [email protected] thanks...
    Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Cave Run

Josh, you might try posting on the Kentucky board rather than the Main board. Here's a thread from the Kentucky board about Cave Run http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=5110

I know crappiepappy seems to fish it some. Good luck. I was just down and fished Taylorsville Lake and did some good, but that's close to Louisville.

Mike

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb J&C ....

Don't really know any "hot spots" at the Cave, for this time of year. But, the water is at Summer Pool, and has been for all of June (it WAS up about 7ft above pool back in May). All indications are that Crappie fishing at Cave Run is a "night fishing" venture, right now. Any of the main lake banks with standing timber, or large creeks & coves with standing timber - and "deep" water (>20ft) - should be a good bet for Crappie. You might find "some", early in the AM (before 9AM), in the shallower stickups (10-15ft deep) ... on shaded banks; but, if the water is real clear, they'll be near the bottom (in that 10-15ft water depth range). And they'll go deeper still, as the Sun climbs higher in the sky.
    I used to fish Cave Run, quite often, back in the 70's & 80's ... Crappie in April, Bass at night in the Summer. I haven't been to Cave Run in a couple of years ... and this year has been a "strange one", according to what I've heard. The flooding has occured a lot more often than normal ..... and the temps have stayed lower than normal. The grass is back, too (never had much grass growing in it, when I fished it consistantly).

With these conditions - I'd say fish 12-18ft deep in the 20-30ft depths around standing timber - with minnows.
    Current conditions -

June 10, 2005

WATER LEVEL: 3/4" Above Summer Pool
    Dropped 1/4" within the past 24 hours
    Dam Output: 252 cubic feet per second with no anticipated changes today
    WATER TEMP: 74 Degrees Surface
    70 Degrees @ 10'
    55 Degrees @ 25'

WATER CLARITY: Clear to Murky

Buy your minnows at one of the lakeside shops ... and ask them how deep & where the action has been. They want you to be successful (and use up all your minnows, so you'll have to come back for more :D ) ... so they should give you the best info they have. ............. luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Everything Crappypappy says is right on. With heat we've had the last few weeks early morning and evening/night fishing is the best bet. As of last week we were catching them on minnows at 12-15 feet over cover and in submerged timber. Some good areas where we've had good luck include the North Fork (Poppin' Rock ramp) and in wooded coves along Beaver Creek (Long Bow ramp). About anyplace with standing timber will be holding fish. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

okay thanks you guy's. i just went to cave run y-day. and cought 18 keepers. and a bass which was 4 1/2 pounds. the guy next to me was catching alot of young ones including about a 4 ft Gar. but thanks for all the info and ill try it out.....

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day on the Cave, I don't think you need much help finding crappie! Sounds like you found 'em just fine. I've been seeing more and more gar on Cave Run. Wonder what that's about? Anyway, glad you did well.

Post Thanks / Like

hello would any of you all know if there is a good place to buy live bait there at popin rock? and if the crappie fishing there is well or not? i had never crappie fished alot. just started it. just trying to find the best place for that little boy. but i once went crappie fishing and we were catching 100's which over half were keepers.. like i say that was my 1st time fishing for crappie. and that just could have been a real good day i just wanna know if poppin rock is about the best place to go. thanks
    Last edited by joshandciera; 06-12-2005 at 11:43 AM.