Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter crappie

I was wondering what type of structure or drop off I should be looking for to catch slabs in water that is in the mid 50s? To the best of my knowledge there is no sunken wood and no river channel with flowing water in the reservoir. There are rockpiles and riprap. Should I focus on humps or drop offs? Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a manmade lake it should have some sort of an old creek or river channel below, but not always. Crappie can hold on very subtle changes that seem almost insignificant to us.
    I know on the lake that I fish here in Arkansas, when the water temp is in the low 50's, I rarely have to go deeper than 15 feet. But our lake is pretty dingy most of the time.
    Crappie will definately key in on any available structure that they can find at the depth that they want to locate at.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Look for baitfish on the graph , note the depth they are in , then try to find cover on structure near that depth . Points , drop offs are good this time of the year .

Post Thanks / Like

if it is a clear lake don't count out the deepest part of the lake. I caught 31 yesterday in Arkansas 50-60foot deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rieve View Post
    if it is a clear lake don't count out the deepest part of the lake. I caught 31 yesterday in Arkansas 50-60foot deep.
    Did their eyes pop out when you pulled them up out of the deep ??