Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handheld GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default handheld GPS

How about some advice on a simple and cheap handheld WAAS GPS unit. Looking for one that is simple to use, don't think I need a mapping unit, thanks.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

We use a Magellan Marine Meridian. It was 350 a couple of years ago and now you can get one for 200. Well worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up E-trex & E-map

I have both of these. You can find e-trex's pretty cheap and its a nice little unit. Not complicated basic/easy operation. When I bought my boat I purchased an Icom and was just getting able to use it (which took a while of reading and playing with the unit) when it quit working!!! I carry my etrex with me and it accomplishes everything i need for on the water. It holds plenty of waypoints for the casual user and you can keep several tracks if you need them. I really like it. The E=map is more for highway use. It does everything the etrex does plus alot more.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used magellan handheld unit in a pawnshop for 35 bucks. It serves as a plotter and gives speed. The speed is the most important aspect to me because you can hold a constant speed on windy days when trolling. I use the plotter when scouting good spots for night fishing, makes it easy to find them after dark.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not own one but Lowrance has 2 new units out. Both have built in base maps. The Ifinder GO is $79.99 and the GO2 is $99.99. Most Lowrance products are high quality so I wouldn't expect any different of these. Here's a link.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL

Here's a little more info on them:
    http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/iFINDERGO2.asp
    http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/iFINDERGO.asp
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 06-10-2005 at 08:03 PM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up etrex

I love my etrex; it’s extremely easy to use, light weight, very accurate. There is only 5 buttons (power, page, scroll up, scroll down, and enter). I got mine on Ebay I think I gave $50 for it, but it didn’t have the box or anything else but the unit itself. I just down loaded the manual off of the Garmin web site. I think even BPS has it for around $90, in my opinion it is still a good buy.
    Last edited by stray; 06-10-2005 at 08:06 PM.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gps

I know this is going to show my ignorance but what exactly do you use these GPS things for with fishing? Do you mark your fishing holes so that you can come back to them? Any other uses?

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin GEKO 201 is my handheld GPS. Check out ebay...that is where I bought mine. Has ability to upload from computer as well as download onto computer. It does not have the map feature. I feel like the handheld units with maps ar to small to be readable.

There are several different mfgs and each have about the same just decide what is going to meet you personal needs and pocket book.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default ertex

Is the etrex waas? And how close to your stump can you get? Yes, I want to use it to get back to the spots where the fish are located hopefully. I have no need for the speed function as I don't troll. I hear the waas spec makes it a lot more accurate.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You got it Mike! Thats exactly what I do. Brush piles,stake beds all at winter pool show up real well but try to find them after the waters up. I also use a range finder too! I've been sinking PVC beds in 14 ft of water in a big bay and mark it with my handheld and also my indash Global map 2000. It works very good for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast