Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What size jig heads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size jig heads?

I am going to be getting some jig heads and I was wondering what size everyone recommends for crappie, and panfish in general?

I have the options of 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8th. Hook sizes 8 and 6.

I have a few samples and I am thinking I like the size 8, 1/32 for an all around crappie, blue gill, perch and trout sized jig head. Does that sound about right?

I plan to tie my jigs on these because they look simply awesome so far of the ones I have tied. It also adds some weight without having to wrap more lead core around them. The head also makes a nice look instead of a tapered off jig body to the eye of the hook.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

ya didn't mention my favorite size, 3/32oz. I use this for bout all my crappie fishin. #4 hook for tyin bucktails and #2 hook for gluein plastics. ya can get the #2 hook out of'em without tearing up yur plastics. I generally use the heaviest jig they will hit, ya can get it back down to'em faster!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have access to that size in the jig heads I am getting. Going lead free for smaller ones and there is a limit to what the guy makes.

I agree with heaviest they will hit though. The faster I can get back down to the fish the better and the control over brush is easier with a jig that goes exactly where you want it.
    Last edited by fish_4_all; 12-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz....Big bait = big fish....
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

1/4 oz. BigHead Jigs with the #4 hook in all but the most shallow conditions. They will hold huge crappie and we have also landed several 5 to 6 lb bass on them as well.
    Most crappie are hooked in the roof of the mouth with the eye of the jig pulled tightly up against the top lip. Actually quite difficult to get the jig out sometimes!

Big Head Crappie Jigs

CATCH A BIG-UN