Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Fishing with Flies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing with Flies

I have caught crappie using sinking flies with a fly rod.

What technique can be used with a spinning set up to fish with some of my flies? Could I just tie a heavier jig on like a Roadrunner and also tie a fly maybe 18" above it? Any one here ever use flies?

Post Thanks / Like

i fish for trout with special bobbers called casting bobbers.i use the casting bobber and about 4 to 5 ft of line with a fly tied on and it works really good .im doing this with a spinning outfit to .the people i got them from are on the net look up rainbow plastics,the bobbers are torpedeo shaped and have eyes to tie your line to

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer flies called Hackle Jigs from JerrysFlies.com....These are basically flies on a weighted jighead, and a little bigger than the regular flies with split shot you buy at retail stores. I've caught alot of crappies on these and some nice bluegills in ponds and small lakes. You can check out their quality products and color selections at Jerry's Trout Spinner Flies - Bass Crank Baits - Spinner Lures - Dry Flies - Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default flys

On one of my favorite crappie lakes I have seen the crappie (usually smaller crappie) come up and start hitting small white flys at the surface at dawn and dusk but in deep water and colder temps about a half dozen times. Ive always wanted to try flys for them. Then ones i caught (not many) were under about 5". I do regularly use small weighted nymphs under a 1/64oz float when im fishing for trout weather it be stream or lake. They really like micro jigs less than 1/128 or small nymphs. Basically the smaller the better.
    I would stay away from using a road runner, kind of like using a brick:D.
    RR arent at the top of my crappie catching lures for where i live.
    I think id go with 2 small split shots or even a small silver spoon as an attractor.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chaser View Post
    I prefer flies called Hackle Jigs from JerrysFlies.com....These are basically flies on a weighted jighead, and a little bigger than the regular flies with split shot you buy at retail stores. I've caught alot of crappies on these and some nice bluegills in ponds and small lakes. You can check out their quality products and color selections at Jerry's Trout Spinner Flies - Bass Crank Baits - Spinner Lures - Dry Flies - Jigs
    The #8 hook on the hackle jigs are a good size for crappie?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use the float -n-fly technique.

Last edited by shipahoy41; 12-30-2008 at 03:57 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fishes with flies all the time. They constantly bite the crap out o my ankles (thru the socks). Any ideas how to "cast them out"?

Seriously. I agree with Ship........
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I fishes with flies all the time. They constantly bite the crap out o my ankles (thru the socks). Any ideas how to "cast them out"?

Seriously. I agree with Ship........
    Rub a little apple cider vinegar and onion on your ankles then put your socks on. Deters unwanted flies etc. :D:D:D:D
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Now there's one I've never heard before Ship!!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.