Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS...Color vs. Black & Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Handheld GPS...Color vs. Black & Grey

I am currently using a Garmin Etrex Camo, which is a Black & Grey screen. I have no problem seeing the screen but am thinking about updating to a color screen handheld unit.
    Are the color screens as easy to see in the daylight as the old unit. I thought that I would get a little more input here than on the electronics forum.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think they are any better to be honest. They are more money and sometime have smaller screens than there counterparts and not always very easy to see in direct sunlight.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a Map76Cx for about a year now I guess. I don't know if the screen is any easier to see but I don't have any problem seeing it in bright sunlight. The main reason I went with it over the Map76 is that it has a newer, faster receiver, which helps it update faster and seems to be more accurate. The screen is quite a bit bigger than the Etrex and it zooms into 20-feet on the map screen and I think it's only 50-feet on the Etrex. I had an Etrex Legend and I like the Map76Cx much better.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like a handheld unit because I use it for more than just fishing. I definately want an electronic compass on my next unit.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance HO2 ifinder color. The unit is great but the color screen is a little hard to see in direct sunlight.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Map76Cx is a handheld unit but I use it in a Marine Mount on the deck of my boat. It is nice to be able to use it off the boat. Right now, for example, we're building Bamboo Mega Mats on dry ground so we need a handheld unit to get waypoints on them. But the Map76Cx does not have an electronic compass - you would have to go to the Map76CSx to get that. I have a two friends that have those units and they are both real happy with them.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I get frustrated when I slow down to approach a brushpile and my pointer goes haywire. Have used an electronic compass unit and they are awesome.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake View Post
    But the Map76Cx does not have an electronic compass - you would have to go to the Map76CSx to get that. I have a two friends that have those units and they are both real happy with them.
    What are the dislikes with the electronic compass? I just bought an Etrex Vista HCx; one reason being that it has that feature.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Oooops, sorry Jerry, I misread your post......thought you said "they were not real happy with them?:rolleyes:
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about a unit that has a Map Screen that will zoom in to 20-feet is that you don't have to do a "Go To" or use a pointer. Just set the unit to "Track Up" and "Show Waypoints" and when you get in the area of your brushpile you'll see the waypoint symbol start coming on the screen.

Then all you have to do is move towards the waypoint until it is under the icon in the middle of the screen that represents you're position and you should see the brushpile on your graph. If the waypoint doesn't show up on the screen when you think you are in the area just zoom out until it shows up and then zoom back in as you approach the target. You can also zoom out to see what other waypoints you've saved in the area, which comes in handy when you have around 800 condos and brushpiles in the lake and you can't remember how many are in the area you're fishing.

Another thing you want to change on the Map76Cx or CSx is the default symbol for waypoints. The one that it is set to is a flag and it's a lot easier to tell when the icon is directly over the waypoint symbol on the screen if you use a round dot for the waypoint symbol. Once you've changed the symbol for a saved waypoint the unit will use the same symbol on subsequent saved waypoints. I think the one I use is green and is called "Large Cities". It's about the same size as the triangle shaped icon for your position in the middle of the screen so it's real easy to see when the icon is over the waypoint symbol. Beleive me, when you start using the Map Screen instead of doing a "Go To" to get to your waypoints you'll really like it. You can actually fish all the way around a brushpile without ever seeing it on your graph by keeping the waypoint just to the side of the boat as you circle it.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast