Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1/80 th ounce jig question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1/80 th ounce jig question

I am wondering how others fish these tiny jigs. I fish them under a float or with a casting bubble of some type.
    DR Fish

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use the 1/64 oz for bluegills. You can cast them reasonable distances without a float. For lighter jigs, floats help with casting.

They're simple, deadly little baits.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them on crappie rigs when spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Default small jigs

Usually i fish them under a thill mini stealth ms-2 float.
    I will also just fish them vertical with no float.
    Possibly add a red worm to a dark jig when after bluegill.
    I have also been using a spring bobbers quite a bit in open water non ice fishing. I like to pound my jigs with rod tip then try and hold them dead still when fishing verticle.
    With the small floats alot of the bites are on the fall so you might see the float twitch or take longer than it should to stand up, or even fall over on its side after is has stood up. Not all of the bites are fish pulling the float underwater.
    Probably the biggest problem i see float fishing is people not dropping the rod tip and letting the float react only to the bait and fish. This is a huge mistake when using an ultra sensitive float. I twitch my float along to induce strikes and in between twitches i point my rod tip at the float and have slack line and i know how long it takes for the float to stand up. If i am vertical and deep with my float i will pound it then drop the float to the water. I also try to have all my weigh on my hook, which would be a jig. Adding heavy shot above the jig or hook only hides lift bites. I have an assortment of fly shot in each box if i need to add a slight amount of weight to get the float to stand up i will add the least amount possible.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I tite line mine on 4# test line seems like the fish cant stand the slow fall!!!!
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

Alright doctor fish I got some painted up the other day Grouse does some nice work on pour'in im I carolina kinda rig mine I fish a 1/2 or 3/4 barrel weight run line on rod thru weight tie barrel swivel on I use a 6lb test leader 12" long tied to this yellow or red line I soak it in warm water and pull it then I tie the jig to the end of leader the warm water pull will limp the line when you fish this up to 40 feet the weight keep's line taunt if the leader is limp and you have a good pole you'll feel anything touch it I promise you!
    STICK-A-FORK-IN-ME-IM-DUMBER !
    www.CrazyAnglerTackle.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OsoFishy View Post
    I tite line mine on 4# test line seems like the fish cant stand the slow fall!!!!
    I can't stand the slow fall either. I guess that why I use big jigs.:o
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The slow fall is fun and deadly!! You have to have sharp eyes and lightning reflexes though.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig

I Use 1/80z Double Rigged With A Little Spilt Shot For Vertical
    Fishing. And The Slow Fall Works Well In The Winter Because The Crappie See It As A Easy Meal Often Hiting It On The Fall. Because They Don't Like To Spend A Lot Of Energy Chasing A Minnow Or Shad Around.

Post Thanks / Like

A fish catcher for sure but that slow fall will drive you nuts.

fatman