Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 foot rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 18 foot rod?

How do you get a crappie in the boat hooked on an 18ft rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! Oh! I know! I know! (Raises hand)

You let out line as you lift the rod!

Do I win a prize?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Fish deep in areas NOT under powerlines, lol. Actually, set the hook and then start pulling the pole horizontally hand over hand behind you till you get closer to the tip section and land your fish. I've even seen some who use really long poles just run the handle end of the pole into the water behind them over the side of the boat. A landing net with a really long extendable handle will come in handy too. This can be done by yourself but it's easier to do with a fishing partner.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You leave about 18 feet of line out and raise the rod straight up. That will put the fish right in front of you. The other option is to use a net.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Why on Earth would you need an 18' rod??
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATEjiggy View Post
    Why on Earth would you need an 18' rod??
    To reach places you can't with a 17footerdoes anyone know where there any decent poles in the 18'-20' range?i've been thinking about trying one to get into places on docks i can't reach or shoot to.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

One day way back when I saw pictures of this pole used by an elderly gent. It was a cane pole he made from those canes that you get for making garden decor and such. I couldn't believe the images I saw. He had 10, 8 foot sections with him and he actually fished with live honey bees! Fishing from the bank on the pond he would role the hook all the way to the tip of the pole. Then he would lay out the pole on the branches and trees over the water to the exact spot he wanted to fish. He would then unroll the hook to the waters surface. When he hooked a fish, he simply rolled the line back up to the pole snugging the fish against the rod and pulled it all back in. I wish I had the pictures of this still but it was years ago that I saw it.

I have actually used pvc pipe to fish in the rocks on the jetties out here with great success. Same concept, hand over hand to get the fish in with the pole laying on the rocks behind you.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig 90% of the time and I have found it handy to not use the reel once I have the fish targeted at a certain depth. Not using the reel gets the bait right back to the same depth every time.

If fishing shallower then the pole's length...stick the rod handle behind you.

If fishing depth right at the pole's length....lift the rod straight up in the air.

If fishing deeper than the pole's lenght...grab the line with your free hand and pull the line away from the rod much like a flyfisherman would do.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pst 18, 20

BnM has an 18, and 20 PST available. I have them on order; however, not received any yet!

Monk Welcome to MonksCrappie.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    To reach places you can't with a 17footerdoes anyone know where there any decent poles in the 18'-20' range?i've been thinking about trying one to get into places on docks i can't reach or shoot to.
    Get a good cane pole and float it under the cover. Be sure to tie a recover rope to the big end of the pole. Doodle sockin is funs. I got a 10 foot BnM and sealed it so it will float. Works good. I just push it under the dock and use the pole as the strike indicator and retriever. I tried longer poles, but they are awkward and I am a clumsy butt.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast