Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Western NC Lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Western NC Lakes

I recently bought my first boat and am looking to start doing some serious crappie and catfishing. I was wondering if anybody had any information about any hot spots in the western portion of NC? I have heard of Lake James, Fontana, Watauga Lake, Santeelah, Nantahala Lake, etc. but have never really heard much about crappie fishing on these lakes.

Any information anyone had about them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake James

Never caught a catfish out of lake james but seen some pretty big ones on trot lines up there. Used to catch some good sized crappies off the houseboats in the now defunct and closed McDowell Wildlife Club Cove at night under floating lights on minnows. The Charlotte Observer usually has some pretty good fishing reports in their Thursday edition that has Lake James included in it. I am a native of Asheville. There are some good sized catfish in Lake Julian if you don't mind just using your trolling motor. I've never been on Lake Fontana. Hope this helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up on Lake James. There are some good fishing holes there. Most of the lake is deep and has great cover. I have caught hundreds of crappie there around houseboats and docks. If you go to the Burke county side of the lake there are some really good spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks crappie king. I'm gonna try out the lake soon. I plan on launching from the Linville access area.
    Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Once you put in at the Linville launch, head straight out until you see another boat launch right in front of you. Once you get in front of the launch go left. There are a lot of docks down that side and some pretty good fishing. I use to night fish there off those docks so you should have some good fishing, as far as crappie and bass. There is also a watch tower by the damn its real deep there. Try crappie fishing there. But, if the bite is slow on crappie and you like to catch cats, the damn is the spot. I have seen monster cats pulled out by the damn. I hope this helps you out. Let me know the outcome of your fishing. Later Crappie King!

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. I am headed that way this weekend if you want to get together and do some fishing let me know. I Bass fish first and if bite is slow I crappie fish. Will be at Lake James Friday night until Sunday. Email me at [email protected] if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you do crappie king?

I went out on Lake James Thursday and had a rough day. No crappie and only a few sun perch. I talked to a few locals who said the fishing had been pretty slow, especially for crappie.

The lake is very nice though, with clear water and alot of downed trees along the banks.

Post Thanks / Like

I went fishing on Lake James on Friday night until Sat morning. The conditions looked good but the bite was slow. Both Bass and Crappie.The lake is beautiful and you can see clear through it but it seems the last couple times I have tried my bread and butter holes they have been empty. SO I dont think I will be back on Lake James anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty good on the Mcdowell county side of lake james. Boat docks produce well, as do brushpiles about 20 to 25 feet deep. If you can find dome good brush sunk off a dock over 25 feet of water you have a hotspot. Under lights at nite works best for me. Never did any good during the day.