Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help!

What do all of you former smokers do to keep your mind from smoking while out fishing? Have had the habit for 15 yrs. and out fishing is the worst. Wife wants me to quit 1st of the year. Have been trying sunflower seeds in the shell, but only works until my mouth is empty, then think I need one. Maybe I can chew on a led free jig. lol

Need to give it up and hope some of you can share your methods that help keep you fishing and not smoking... maybe I can pick up a new more healthy habit!

Thanks,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like

First thing to do is dont tell ANYONE your are quiting. i know this goes against conventional thinking but most people dont want to hear your good news. Just make it a personal thing. After i quit i gained alot of weight. but decided to work on that after a year of quiting. Good luck.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked 24 years and quit cold turkey (3 packs a day) In those 24 years I quit numerous times without success because other folks wanted me to quit. If you don't want to quit you're just agravating yourself. If you really want to quit just break the routine you have ie lighting up after you eat, when you have coffee ect. You can do it just want to and it'll happen-I've been quit 30 years now and sometimes I still get the craving sometimes but I just ignore it and go about what I'm doing. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the comments you have already gotten. Don't tell anyone (Crappisaurusrex). Your wife is gonna know, obviously. You MUST want to do it for yourself (JZachem) or you have already lost.

Like JZachem, I smoked heavily for a long time - 23 years. I was a career Army Warrant Officer and everyone smoked. One day (1 May 1980) I woke up, reached for a cigarette and thought 'My lungs hurt - I quit'. Threw them away and never smoked again. It wasn't easy. The drug addiction (nicotine) took about three weeks to diminish. Ever time I wanted a cigarette I went out and ran two to five miles. That will clean your lungs out. Another thing that helps is lots of sex (that will make her either very happy you are quitting - or shut up) The most difficult part for me was that my wife still smoked for 10 years after I quit. Even tho the nicotine addition was gone there was still the HABIT of seeing a pack of cigarettes laying on the kitchen counter and automatically wanting to pick one up. She finally quit when her mother got lung cancer. My wife then decided SHE wanted to quit. For years she would occasionally crave a cigarette.

You can do it but you have to be the one that want's it! Good Luck.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

For me I would focus on the positives like the health benefits and what new toys I was gonna buy with the money I saved. Quit quietly otherwise there will be incessant questions, "hows the no smoking going" GRRRRRR!!!
    Good news was the physical cravings were gone and started feeling better in only about 3 days, then it was just controlling the mental part.
    I'm weak and did it so anyone can.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Go get a prescription for chantix. it is wonderful....You must want to quit...if the only reason you are quitting is because your wife wants you to....you will fail....here is the link for chantix..

http://www.chantix.com
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And if all the info given already doesn't help, try getting into a 12 step program for smokers. They should have some listed in your telephone directory. Some people can quit, but some need to know how. The program will give you a sense of direction. And best of all, it's free to get the freedom. Good luck and God bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Start using smokeless and don't spit. All the rest will fall into place. Make sure you start this on a day it is white capping on the water, nice and rough.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ha Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris View Post
    Start using smokeless and don't spit. All the rest will fall into place. Make sure you start this on a day it is white capping on the water, nice and rough.
    Reminds me of junior high school, some of us thought it was cool to dip in class. One of the kids thought it was funny to raise his hand and tell the teacher on me, I had to swallow that chew right quick and boy howdy in a few minutes I was shaking and sweating but never did yack it up.
    Later in the school yard that same ol boy didn't think them upper cuts were so funny.

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked, dipped, and chewed for 35 years. I tried chewing the nic gum, and patches, but that didn't work. Finally just threw my cigs out the car window, and haven't had another one in over 12 years. You can't quit because someone else wants you to----you've got to want to quit. Its not easy, but you can do if you want to. You'll see a big improvment in your overall health over a period of time. Now, if I could just stop eating so much.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast