Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Needing a recomendation

Post Thanks / Like

Question Needing a recomendation

what type of rod is preffered for crankbait trolling, Med, Med-Heavy and what length? Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i have read about the trolling for crappie i am asking about trolling in general. thanks for any help.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Panman in Virginia trolls using Bandits and does quit well with them. Is that a crank bait? I've got one but haven't tried it yet. It looks like you would throw it out and crank it in.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling rods

I am no expert troller,I troll for Stripers occasionally and crappie a lot, my preference in rods for both is medium action, too stiff won`t let you "read" what your lure is doing, such a bumping bottom ,fouled up in it`s own line,hooks, etc. Too soft not enough power to set hook,stripers not crappie, etc. As far as length I prefer 6 and a half to 8 ft rods, to prevent tangles and to seperate lines when turning, just my opinions, hope this helps you. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6' medium power fast action spinning rods with 4 pound superline for trolling crankbaits. I troll for crappie, but get many bass and catfish up to the 3 to 4 pound range.

Possum1 hit it on the head about reading what your lure is doing. By using a medium action rod, you can tell when even a small piece of vegetation is stuck on the crankbait.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your help guys

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; trolling? 6' heavy action, roller guids, O_O_O_H, for crappie! no idea :D . good luck. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

I use different rods for different situations. I troll cranks alot for Crappies. I will use my 12' B'N'M jiggin' stick alot of the time. Other wise I use a 6' St. Croix light action. I also use a 7' UL St. Croix.
    Enjoy the time you have with your fishing partners. You never know when the may leave you unexpectivly.