Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about installing Buddy Bearings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about installing Buddy Bearings

Has anyone installed or replaced Buddy Bearings in your trailer before?

I am going to try and do it this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone had some step-by-step instructions or any words of wisdom before I get started.

I believe the kit will come with instructions, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience that might help.

Thanks - GABoy
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    Has anyone installed or replaced Buddy Bearings in your trailer before?

I am going to try and do it this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone had some step-by-step instructions or any words of wisdom before I get started.

I believe the kit will come with instructions, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience that might help.

Thanks - GABoy
    There are some there website but, they dont have alot of info. Also I would invest in a pair of the Buddy Bearing Bra's. They keep the grease contained and wont sling grease on the inside of the wheel. And they are cheap 3 bucks for a pair of them.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/installation.html
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    There are some there website but, they dont have alot of info. Also I would invest in a pair of the Buddy Bearing Bra's. They keep the grease contained and wont sling grease on the inside of the wheel. And they are cheap 3 bucks for a pair of them.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/installation.html
    Thanks TAE,

I came across that website also, but like you said it didn't have a whole lot of specific info, so it seems like it is really easy. I just wanted to make sure before I attempt to do this myself.

I will certainly get those bra's to keep the grease contained.

Thank you!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the same method you use if you were changing the bearing normally. Just be carefull not to scar the inside of the wheel hub, it will make installing the new bearing more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey GABoy:
    The hardest thing was getting the old caps off my boat trailers wheels when I installed the bearing buddies. I used some old wood blocks to bang the new bearing buddies onto the wheel. Just take you time and read the instructions. My bearing buddies came with step by step instructions on how to install them.

Just make sure that you get the new bearing buddies in straight which is pretty easy to do if you take your time.

Keep them full of grease after you get done and grease them up before any long trips and they should last you a very long time.

I installed mine about 25 years ago. Got my boat new in 1978 and I installed bearing buddies about a year after I got the boat. That was one of the best things I did for my boat trailer.

I would recommend installing new bearings and seals when you get the old caps off the wheels and the old bearings out.

Just take your time and read the instructions and things should go ok.

Might want to pick up a couple sets of seals just in case you mess a seal up. They are fragil and can be bent when you install them so get some spares when you first go to the parts store. If you don't use them now you can use them later or take them back to the store. Just save the receipt.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default buddy bearings

Hey Gaboy, I agree with moose but I think when I got my buddy bearings they came with the seals already installed. Like moose said make sure the buddy bearings are lined up straight. I use a piece of 2x4 across the buddy bearing and hit the 2x4 with a hammer until the buddy bearing is flush with your hub. The 2x4 is to keep from scarring your hub. It is really a simple process. One more thing, this is elementary put DO NOT put the grease in until the buddy bearings are installed.
    Good Luck,
    Shadow
    Last edited by shadow; 06-08-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure if you can that your trailer is not unique. I had bearing problems several years ago and found out my trailer has a replacable flange ( actually a second seal) on the outside ( toward the inner part of the trailer) from the inner seal. When my inner seal was replaced along with all other bearings and seals, that inner flange had attached it's self to innner seal and the mechanic thought it was just a different design on a seal. Several problems later ( that bearing would not hold grease) I called the trailer manufactuer and discovered the different design. That part was only available from them. Bearing buddies are fine just follow the instructions and do not put in too much grease. Very little is lost too wear and grease doesn't have anywhere to go except out a seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input!

There are already some bearing buddies installed in there, but the rear seal is not good on one side. I figured why I was replacing that I was going to put in new seals, bearings, and bearing buddies so I have complete faith that nothing is wrong. I have been losing a lot of bearing grease since that seal is no good. So, I figure I can completely replace everything for about $ 40 - $ 50, that is worth it to me to ensure everything is brand new and working properly.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

I will keep all the old stuff as spares, in case I ever need anything.
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You will have to add grease quite often at first until it all gets worked in. Also be sure you get the right size. Best investment you ever make for the trailer.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; when you change out all of that stuff, i take it that you are going to do the bering races as well. 2 tricks i learned along time ago in a place far, far away. freeze the races in a container with some alcohol (rubbing, not drinking) they get and shrink abit more, then use the old race to drive the new one in, just turn it around so the narrow edge is agenst the narrow edge of the new one, that way you can drive it all the way in and taap out the old one with the hammer. works fine last alo-o-o-ng time.
    tarfu

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast