Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bullheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bullheads

I have a lot of lakes around here that have rather large brown and yellow bullhead catfish but I can never catch anything bigger than 6-8 inches. I have seen stringers of them in the 2-5 pound range but no one will share the tricks.

I have seen them ripping up a trout carcass but couldn't get them to hit even a piece of trout thrown where they were eating.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to fish them at night to get the big ones? I have tried shrimp, crawlers, red worms, stink baits, meal worms, crayfish and whatever else I could think of.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

This site should help ya out. -(www.catfishing.tv)also i've had good success using shiners. Cut them in half or rig them whole. Hope this helps! Tight lines prj
    Last edited by prj; 12-22-2008 at 08:35 PM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here Bullheads mostly run small. With all the Blues, Channels, and Flatheads most consider Bullheads trash fish. Some here use them for Flathead baits.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    I have seen stringers of them in the 2-5 pound range but no one will share the tricks.

Are you sure they are bullheads? I've never seen bullheads that big. If I saw a stringer that size, I'd assume they were channels or small flatheads. See the world record data here:

"Brown bullheads are native to the eastern USA on both sides of the Appalachians and southern Canada but have been introduced in many other places. The species is often stocked in farm ponds since it is so good to eat. It is smaller than the black bullhead with the record at 5 lbs. 8 ozs. (2.49 kg) which was taken on May 22, 1975 in my home state of Georgia, USA.

Even smaller is the yellow bullhead. It is found on both sides of the Appalachians in the eastern USA and has been introduced into other areas. It seems to like more shallow, weedier waters than its other colored cousins. The record weighed 4 lbs. 4 ozs. (1.92 kg) and was caught in Arizona, USA on May 11, 1984"

I don't normally target bullheads, but I often catch them on worms, corn or maggots fished on or just off the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to remember this is fisherman talk. I don't know what they weighed, I didn't catch them. I know they were close to 3-5 pounds because some were a good 14-18 inches long and fat fish. There is no competition here for them. Planted trout, a few native cutts and thats about it. They get to eat tons of vegetation, lots of crawdads and tons of bugs and whatever worms and bait fisherman throw overboard at the end of the day. Not to mention the frogs, tadpoles, shiners, pea mouth chubs and whatever else is in the lake for food.

As for why I target them, beggers can't be choosers. We don't have channels, blues, flatheads or any other descent catfish here. I have seen big ones in the lakes so I know they exist. The trout I saw them chewing on was a good 12 inches if not bigger and they were larger. I snagged the trout carcass an hour or so later because I had to know.

As for ID, I am almost positive there are brown bullheads and I have caught some that do not have the mottling so I assumed they are yellows but could be black. The browns are definately larger in what I catch. My ID is based on the internet, WDFW and other fisherman so I think it is pretty accurate. Definately not blues, channels or any other catfish you normally target to eat or for the fight.

WA state record, 11.04 lb. Washington Sport Fish Records

Disco, I not trying to sound mad or nofin, jusss tired. I was shocked by the state record myself!
    Last edited by fish_4_all; 12-26-2008 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Because I sounded wrong.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    Disco, I not trying to sound mad or nofin, jusss tired. I was shocked by the state record myself!
    No problem! I was shocked, too. It's almost double the current world record:

Brown bullhead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder why the WA record wasn't recognized as the new world record. Maybe they never thought to submit it, or there was some minor problem with the application.

Anyway, it sounds like you have ideal growing conditions for them. In-Fisherman puts out an annual catfish guide that usually has some good tips, but it's more focused on channels/blues/flatheads.

Have you ever tried crawdads for bait? If they occur naturally in the waters you fish, they might be worth a try. If you can't buy them, you could always trap your own.

Post Thanks / Like

You've tried most all the baits I use for them except chicken livers so I really don't know what to tell you. I use bait shrimp almost all the time. Excellent fish to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I just have to get out and fish all night for them one day. Not like I haven't done it before. They are a nocturnal fish anyway so who knows.

I have tried crawdads with no avail but small ones. Worms, shrimp and other things too but only get the little ones that are hardto clean for such little meat.

There is definately nothing alse that tastes like them. Some say muddy, I just say really strong flavored.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, a little bit old thread but whatever. fish 4 all, we do have channel cats in our state and the record came from a central washington pond at around 30 pounds. im not sure about whats all on your side of the state but around here i've heard the good bait is small chunks of steak. i have also heard that another good bait is fresh sucker strips.
    raising your voice, the next best thing to being right

Post Thanks / Like

Yah, there are some on this side of the mountains but nothing within 100 miles of me that I have found anyway. Sucker strips is a good idea though as they are easy to catch/snag in a local lake.