Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: St. Croix Ice Rod ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default St. Croix Ice Rod ?????

Gander Mountain in Wichita KS has 24" legend ice rods in L & ML with spring bobbers. I am needing some advice. Im after crappie in the 10" + range with alot of fish in my area in the 12" to 15" range. I dont fish for bluegill but I do run into some walleye from time to time.

Which of the 2 rods stated would be best for my situation? I have no experience with these short rods so Im asking the hardwater folks to help me make the right choice.

Thanks
    Cody

Post Thanks / Like

Default rods

Crappie are obviously light biters and weak fighters so id step down and stay with a bluegill rod. With smaller fish id rather have a little more give in the rod over backbone. I would say a spring bobbers would be essential but not necessarily have to have one that comes with the rod. Some members have said good things about HT ice blue rods for sensitivity and very inexpensive.
    I dont have a st.croix so i can say but i would probably get an UL and then a L.
    I dont ice fish but use ice rods and i kind of like the the 30" rods for a little extra spring. I do also have a berkley ML that i do like also.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the L. The ml is a walleye rod.
    I'd say that if you want to skip all of the upgrading check out Austin rods.
    Gregg will call you if you contact him and he'll build you a rod for about the same money and you'll have a way better rod for exactly the fish you are fishing for. Go to the link and tell him CK sent you.
    Austin Custom Rods
    Check out these 2 videos with my 24" custom Elite fast tip and spring.
    I feel as many hits as I see with these sensitive rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick replies. I will go with the light action.

Thanks
    Cody