PDA

View Full Version : bobby garland custom baits

dr jigz
12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
is there any out there that uses bobby garland slab slayrs and 2" shads? if so, how do you fish them? ive had great success on many soft plastics, but these baits have not been very friendly to me. its obvious that im missing something.

Big Willie
12-21-2008, 07:26 PM
you have a PM

JusFshn
12-21-2008, 07:30 PM
is there any out there that uses bobby garland slab slayrs and 2" shads? if so, how do you fish them? ive had great success on many soft plastics, but these baits have not been very friendly to me. its obvious that im missing something.

bought some last night... I would say use them like a crappie stinger.. Thats what they remind me of.. Looks like a fine bait.. You can tell they are proud of them by the way they have em priced.. Kinda hoping they don't work real good at roughly $0.25 a grub.. Geeze!

ShellQuacker
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I haven't done very well with the Slab Slayr's, but the baby shad is a great bait. Lasts through many fish.
I cast them on a 1/16th oz jig head, sometimes tipped with a small minnow.
I've never done it, but I don't see why they wouldn't work as a good road runner body.

jigsbydirk
12-21-2008, 08:01 PM
They are very popular in Oklahoma. I have great success fishing them vertical or spider rigging with them.

crappieken
12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
dr jigz - Here is a pic of 17 crappie I took in 45 minutes fishing a Bobby Garland slab slayer (electric chicken) 18 inches below a weighted cork in a pond. The one on the measuring board is 13 inches, and I also had a dozen 12's, three 11's, and one 10 incher.

must buy my fish
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I love the double silver rainbow in the 3 inch . And the new color in baby shad shape called vegas

Pool13_Jeff
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Baby Shad are by far my best producers in clear lakes. Usually, I cast and sloooowwwwly retrieve them. I use symetry 1500 reels and like one revolution to be completed in an 8-count (thousand-one, thousand-two...) I have tried many different jigheads and I like the Gamakatsu round 211 the best for these plastics. I use 1/32, and 1/16 most of the time.

Electric chicken and Chartreuse silver are the best for me, with EC being the best.

Gamblinman
12-21-2008, 09:02 PM
It's all I have been using the last several months. Both slab slay'rs and baby shad have been producing. Electric chicken, blue ice, vegas and hot pink.

jaxsprat
12-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Hmnn, never had much luck with them must be me, can one of you's post a pict of how u got it hooked-rig? Thanks

monkscrappie
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
It's all I have been using the last several months. Both slab slay'rs and baby shad have been producing. Electric chicken, blue ice, vegas and hot pink.

We sell a lot of the Bobby garland products!

MonkWelcome to MonksCrappie.com (http://monkscrappie.com)

jigsbydirk
12-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Rig it like a bass assissin with the belly down

Gamblinman
12-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Rig it like a bass assissin with the belly down

Yep.

Hook up. belly down

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/bsumner15/GeneLarewbabyshad-Vegas.jpg

crappiefarmer
12-21-2008, 09:47 PM
The Baby shads are good baits. I like to use a 1/16th ounce jig with a #2 hook. need a little more hook gap and shank so I poured my own jigs because most store bought jigs use #4 hooks at 1/16th. CF

mike_3720
12-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I just bought $25.00 of the Bobby Garland Baby Shad from Bass Pro Shop....BPS had eight different colors to choose from.....

sea-sons
12-22-2008, 07:25 AM
I've done pretty good with flatline trolling the stroll'r with a 1/16oz jig and split shot 3' up the line at about .8 mph

TeamCSJE
12-22-2008, 07:34 AM
I LOVE THE BABY SHAD BAITS!!!!!!!!!! I use the licorice and chart. most of time and have had great success slow trolling and vertical jigging. I use a 1/16th oz. aspirin head jig with a #2 Matzuo red chrome sickle hook (I get them from TCI Fishing Lures, he is a member on this site...that one is for you Tommy).

Good Luck and don't give up!

TeamCSJE
Arizona Slab Hunters

monkscrappie
12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Bobby Garland Baby Shad, Slab slayer, Hyper Grub, and the new Stroll'r must catch a lot of fish; we can't keep them in stock due to fast sales.

I believe the new Stroll'r is possibly one of the best baits for vertical and long line trolling. The Baby Shad and Slab Slayer need to have the fisherman add action to the bait by jigging or floats.

Monk Welcome to MonksCrappie.com (http://monkscrappie.com)

TAE73
12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
For all that dont want there baits I will pay the shipping to take them off your hands....lol :D

They are some really good baits, their baits won a lot of tournaments on Truman Lake, MO. The cheapest and best place that I have found to buy is U.S. Bass - Fishing, bait, & hunting supplies - Dover, TN (http://www.usbass-tn.com/612560.html)

Gamblinman
12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Bobby Garland Baby Shad, Slab slayer, Hyper Grub, and the new Stroll'r must catch a lot of fish; we can't keep them in stock due to fast sales.

I believe the new Stroll'r is possibly one of the best baits for vertical and long line trolling. The Baby Shad and Slab Slayer need to have the fisherman add action to the bait by jigging or floats.

Monk Welcome to MonksCrappie.com (http://monkscrappie.com)

We have been fishing the Baby Shads and the Slab Slay'rs vertical. Sometimes thay want it completely still, and others times with a slight jigging motion, and still other times they want it moving.

Whatever works is what they get!!

PRKRANGER2
12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
The bobby garland bleeding shad has been a hot lure here on Chickamauga this fall and winter. The local bait shops can not keep them stock.

fishdoc
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
been usin my homemade bucktails for 30+yrs, nuthin could beat'em. DonG showed me last yr that the baby shad would out fish my bucktails. been usin them ever since with great success. use'em on 1/32, 1/16 and 3/32oz plain jigheads, unpainted. won a Bobcat's Crappie tourney last Dec and a Crappie USA tourney last month on'em. we cast and use the count down method. Blue Ice, Cajun Cricket and Blue Grass have been our best colors. have caught several thousand Crappie on'em so far this yr....and I ain't thru! THANX Don!

luvpt
12-24-2008, 11:12 PM
The baby shad is one of my favorites that I won't go fishing without....just make sure you have a good arsenal stocked with all the colors....never know what they will like on any given day. Right now in SE Ark the first ones I put on are: Green thunder, Char/red glitter, and EC in clear lakes; the hologram is working good in murky water right now. I like to put them on 1/16 oz pink or char jigheads with split shot 24" above for slow trolling. P.S. ALWAYS use a Nibble (I like the white...cause it goes with anything!). I have seen times they would not bite the BG's and would tear up a tube jig but usually the BG's work fantastic. The Green Thunder has been hard to find in stock lately and I had to go 70 miles the other day to find the last three packages at a sporting goods store...could not wait for the mail and I was running low. The manager said they are selling three to one compared with the other colors right now in in SE ark and NE La.

SteveJ
12-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I like the Curley Shad too, sometimes they seem to like the tail action a little better but I have the others too.