Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Hartwell drought

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Hartwell drought

Article and video on lake hartwell..very depressing...but on teh other hand, a great time to get brush out i guess and see all the underwater spots...good read adn watch...
    'Forgotten' lake shows South's stubborn drought - Yahoo! News

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pictures can't show what it really looks like, the lake is 22' down. You have to see it to believe that a lake can drop this far down. It is a sad site to see.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta see it for yourself. Very depressing. As the levels go down the property taxes have increased. Makes you think that since money isn't coming in from lake usage that "they" are finding other ways to get $$$ and that's the tax payers on the lake.
    I see contrversary everywhere. For instance, this low level has been coming all year and they are just now starting to inforce water restrictions. You see we only have around 300 days of drinking water left. After that, measures have to be taken to try and get more water from the deeper parts of the lake. That means the water supply Co. has to send pipes further out which will cost them money. My thoughts are they put off restrictions thinking that it wouldn't get this bad. Makes you sit back and think about all we take for granted like turning on a faucet. I don't blame the Corp like most people do, I blame the people for not conserving water. When I see sprinkler systems running every day of the week or running when it is raining, it just boils my blood.
    The only upside to this is vegetation that is growing now that HOPEFULLY one day will be underwater and make for some awesome fishing. As far as going and setting brush, or looking for fishing spots that are dry now, I just hope those that do this take precautions and know the lake. Lake Hartwell has alot of accidents, many of which are avoidable. I am in the business to help those unfortunate few and never look forward to a call at Hartwell.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

An awesome lake in better times. I pray for its return and an end to that drought.

I was there for 30 days a few years ago GPS-ing the recreational inventory and fell in love with the place--epecially the old Hutchison House on the east bank.

Prayin' for better times ahead and the return to this most beautiful of lakes.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

some pics from a couple of weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

That's super low for sure, we endured 5 years of that here, you just have to stick it out & put in some structure until it comes back. The weather will cycle back to a wet pattern.....just pray it's this year. Then with all the weeds & such when the water rises you guy's will have phenominal fishing!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Rippers, and the fishing was really good when it was low those years. Launching a boat was a problem though, as I am sure it is there.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger