Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hitch ball on the rear bumper of the F150 is it for towing ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The hitch ball on the rear bumper of the F150 is it for towing ?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting an F150, and it that ball looks weird sitting on the bumper like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannalearn
    I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting an F150, and it that ball looks weird sitting on the bumper like that.
    I am pretty sure you can tow using the bumper ball. However, your weight limit is alot lower than with a reciever hitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the towing capacity is stamped right into the bumper. Tough thing about them is there is no way to adjust the hitch height.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; what type of bumper is it? generaly on fords they have the towing information stamped into the bumper right next to the ballmount hole. if thier is an owner's manual handy the information should be in there. when all else fails...., or you could call the local dealership, talk to the maintence people NOT the sales types, they'll tell ya anything. only people that i know that can fart forwards and backwards at the sametime, on two different levels. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Be prepared to bend your trailer hitch, you are limited to the angle you can turn without a trailer hitch mounted to the frame. Good for light loads and backing at sharp angles is not a problem. I tried it once then went and got a proper hitch that could handle the load and was safer. But match the hitch to the load. my two cents

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Usually the towing capacity is stamped right into the bumper. Tough thing about them is there is no way to adjust the hitch height.
    Actually you can lower it or at least used to be able to. I had a 78 Ford and I bought a piece of metal from my local trailer shop that enabled me to lower the ball several inches. It bolts to the bumper and then the ball bolts on it. I used it for several years with no problems. Looks kind of tacky tho. I think I had to drill some additional 1/2" holes in the bumper.
    A hitch that bolts on to the frame is really the only way to go.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Actually you can lower it or at least used to be able to. I had a 78 Ford and I bought a piece of metal from my local trailer shop that enabled me to lower the ball several inches. It bolts to the bumper and then the ball bolts on it. I used it for several years with no problems. Looks kind of tacky tho. I think I had to drill some additional 1/2" holes in the bumper.
    A hitch that bolts on to the frame is really the only way to go.
    Yeah, I got one of those for my old F-150, it is called a drop hitch. The only thing it is really good for is banging your shins on it. OUCH! did that a few times, don't use it anymore.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you shouldnt have any any probablem with a boat if it is balanced out right .the tung weight should n`t be that heavy .
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman
    Yeah, I got one of those for my old F-150, it is called a drop hitch. The only thing it is really good for is banging your shins on it. OUCH! did that a few times, don't use it anymore.
    Yeah!! Thats it!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing you can do is to take the ball off the ford and put it on a Dodge. LOL
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast