HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best size Road Runner for crappie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best size Road Runner for crappie ?

Useing them in a cast and retrieve fasion what is the best for crappie ? I like the slow sink rate of the 1/16 oz. but the hook is a bit small when used on crappie thunder bodies. Doesn't the 1/16 oz. Pro series with the willow blade have a #1 or #2 hook instead of the regualar #4 ? Am I thinking right the slower fall the better ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    Useing them in a cast and retrieve fasion what is the best for crappie ? I like the slow sink rate of the 1/16 oz. but the hook is a bit small when used on crappie thunder bodies. Doesn't the 1/16 oz. Pro series with the willow blade have a #1 or #2 hook instead of the regualar #4 ? Am I thinking right the slower fall the better ? -Thanks
    Personally I like the 1/32 best and have since the mid 70's. I will catch more crappie on a Road Runner in spring than anything else and all or most all will be on a 1/32. oz. I usually catch a lot of good size crappie as well. Most every year several 17" or over and a load of 15".

I do use regular jigs as well, but I do troll a lot in the spring and lots of times I use my 1/32oz. RR's.

Oh and by far every store/tackle shop around here that sell jig heads will run out of 1/32 way before anything else.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 1/32, 1/16, and the 1/8 RR's depending on what time of year it is and their reaction. I usually start with the 1/16 and adjust from there. During the spawn 1/32 is hard to beat most of the time. I will even use it under a bobber if I need to slow down even more. As there commercials say "You can't fish it wrong if your fishing it slow". After a front moves thru I will use a Red and White 1/16 Red head and white bubble belly RR and it seems to work the best for me.
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 12-19-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I only use the Crappie thunder bodies on a 1/8 jig head so I have more hook.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I tend to use ......

the 1/16oz version, most of the time ... but, a 1/32oz does have its time and place.
    I only fish them alone ... no float/bobber or added weight. I generally use a constant med speed retrieve ... keeping a straight/taut line, from rod tip to lure, and fast enough to insure that the blade is spinning.
    I prefer the marabou version, and usually trim the tail to 1/2 the distance from hook bend to original length (out of package length). I find that, in doing so, I stop alot of the "nipping" that goes on :p and end up putting a hook in the mouth of those fish.

My best two day limit out trip to Barkley Lake, was accomplished using a 1/32oz marabou RR in solid Pink. Needless to say, no matter what lake I fish, one rod has a Roadrunner tied on :D And, I've even gone so far as to designate one special rod/reel outfit for that purpose. It's also the only outfit I use, that has PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis braid on the reel. ('cause you never know what species or size fish is gonna nail your RR ... and so I can pull it free, should I encounter an underwater obstacle that would like to keep my RR for decoration !! )

... cp
    Thanks leomort thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

all I ever use is the 1/16oz
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

I liike the 1/ 16th oz. also

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with most I like the 1/32 and 1/16th and making my own I can experiment with hook sizes

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I base it more on how deep the fish are as opposed to hook size. Fish are shallow, I'll use the lighter ones and if they're deeper, I'll go heavier.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)