Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about Chart Cursor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Chart Cursor

I have a question about the “chart cursor”. I have an X 75 Lowrance.

The operation instructions reads………( about the digital depth display) “This display comes from a separate digital sonar built into the unit.” What I need to know is this……If your transducer is 2’ under water and you set your “keel offset” to compensate for this, (example 22’ becomes 20’) and you see fish at a certain depth, then you move the “chart cursor” (a feature that will show a line that you can move on the screen to pinpoint a target’s depth) what is the actual depth of the target? For example…. if the chart cursor is showing 10’ is this the accurate depth of the target, or is it 2’ off?

In the manual under the keel offset instructions it reads……"Please note that adjusting the keel offset only affects the digital depth display and all features that use the digital depth, such as the depth alarms and FishTrack. This doesn’t affect the chart at all". (FishTrack is a feature that shows fish with the depth above each fish symbol) I hope this makes sense. Thanks
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an X75 and have never used the keel off set or the chart cursor. I would suggest that you may be able to figure this out by lowering a 2 or 3 oz sinker down a know depth straight under the transducer and check the reading vs how deep you kow the sinker is.

What is the purpose of chart cursor? In practical everyday fishing how do you use that feature?

Post Thanks / Like

[
    Please note that adjusting the keel offset only affects the digital depth display and all features that use the digital depth, such as the depth alarms and FishTrack. This doesn’t affect the chart at all". (FishTrack is a feature that shows fish with the depth above each fish symbol) I hope this makes sense. Thanks [/QUOTE]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have now read the manuel. If you are correct in the above statement I think the chart cursor would be 2 feet off.
    Let's say your boat is sitting in 12 feet of water and the sonar is showing 10 feet because the transducer is 2 feet under the surface. A fish is showing at 5 ft. and the chart cursor is set at 5 ft. Now you reach forward and set the keel offset to calibrate for the 2 ft.
    Now the digital display will show 12 ft. Your fish track will show the fish at 7ft. If the chart on the side does not change to 12 ft. I think the chart cursor as well as the side chart will be two feet off. In reading the manuel I believe the chart cursor is based on the side chart. Whew that's too much thinking I need another orange M & M, gotta get my vitamin C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    I have an X75 and have never used the keel off set or the chart cursor. I would suggest that you may be able to figure this out by lowering a 2 or 3 oz sinker down a know depth straight under the transducer and check the reading vs how deep you kow the sinker is.

What is the purpose of chart cursor? In practical everyday fishing how do you use that feature?
    One way to use the cursor would be to find the exact depth of the top of a brush pile or if you keep seeing fish at a particular depth you can use the depth cursor to see the depth.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by FalconSmitty; 06-11-2005 at 11:46 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson