Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Lake and still cant find em

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small Lake and still cant find em

I fish a small private lake in NC. I dont think there is a huge number of crappie in it but the ones you do catch are slabs. The lake is very deep for its size and basically after the spawn I cant find any crappie. I know the depths, contours, channels very well it being small, I just need some advice on where to search for them different times of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I know whatcha mean... I have 1 lake out of 8 that I fish that is similar to what you are saying, all I catch is over 11" and few and far between. I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that the fewer crappie in a given area, the bigger the are.

Anyone else believe this to be true?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the shoreline and structure like and from the fish you do catch have you checked out the contents of their stomachs? How are you fishing and what are you using for bait? In my experience small lakes require a lot of care when fishing to not spook fish and to present your bait or lure correctly as well as using the right bait. Also, large fish in a small environment can be really smart or finicky and being its a small lake with few fish you'll have to be careful not to fish out all the crappies, especially the big ones.

I love fishing out of the way small bodies of water. They can be really hard and also really rewarding. If you want to keep it a good fishery you'll have to be responsible.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

The shoreline in the main body is deep. There is some brush around the banks but mostly is boat houses and docks. I know the lake is full of shad because you can see them everywhere. I usally use jigs but have caught fish on minnows to. I have not tried trolling of any type, for Im just now learning. The lake is also very clear usually.

Post Thanks / Like

The boat houses and docks would be my starting point. Practice on shooting your jigs up under the docks and boat houses, even under the pontoons if they leave them in the water like a lot of people do. Use a light jig and a flexible rod. Pinch the jighead between your thumb and index finger, pull it back toward the reel with the bail open on your reel, holding the line above the reel with your rod hand. The rod will load up like a bow, then let off the jig and the line at the same time. This will shoot the lure. Practice at home using a chair or something, shoot under the legs. I don't get to use this method much as the lakes I usually fish don't have docks. If you want to learn from one of the best, PM Russ Bailey, his user name is russ. He uses this technique a lot on his home lake and I learned it from him at a seminar a while back. He can give you all the pointers you need to get good at it. But if there are docks, especially since you said the shoreline in mostly deep and the water is clear, they should hold crappie. Some of them are bound to have brush under them, too. If not, maybe someone will let you put some in?
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if you want to do this or not, but with the internet and the excellent up close looks we can get without being there, if you want to give us the location of the lake a lot of eyes of guys who really know where to fish could take a look and give you some ideas where to fish.

Besides what Speck suggested, do you have any weed beds in the lake? I have one deep lake I fish that has one single fairly shallow spot where the weeds like to grow and that's the one spot on the lake where you can always find crappies hiding in the cover there.

Do you have electronics to take a look at the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

There are no weeds in the lake that I know of. I do have electronics and know the lake well. Do crappie tend to move out to the main lake after the spawn in my case its a river channel?

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look around a little with your finder and see if there might be a weedbed or two tucked in there somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I would give trolling a shot, good way to cover alot of water quick, and you can pick up a pattern of depth, cover type, bait color, etc. and then go back and pick apart those places you catch fish. It doesn't take much different equipment to try it out. I throw a safety pin spinner on with any jigs I would normally use pretty often, sometimes just a plain ledhead with a minnow. You can adjust your depth just by changing the weight of jig.

I would also bet those fish come back to that cover where they spawn throughout the year. Check any drops close by.

You may get lucky heading out after dark as well.
    Last edited by AtticaFish; 12-22-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had the same problem. I just cant find them or get them to bit during winter. I am pretty sure they really get down and hig the bottom and cover. Also I have a barrel full of bluegill and they will not take food right now. They hit some worms other go untouched to the bottom. Cold really does affect fish. I dont know how some of you guys do it during winter.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast