Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Unorthodox Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Unorthodox Crappie

I fish a watershed lake in the western north carolina. There are lots of crappie in this 90 acre lake, there is also any and all types of cover to hold these fish yet the only way we can catch them is trolling. We have rocks, creek channels, christmas trees we have sank. not to mention the field of tree stumps yet the only way that we catch them is trolling never in schools on cover. Can anyone give some advice or any tips as to why this seems to be the only lake in the world crappie wont school in cover.

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie might be deep down in the cover. You might try working the bottom around the whole structure. I've sat anchored over Crappie many times and only to have one certain area about a foot in diameter that they would bite. Move a rod 2' off that spot, and maybe one fish in a couple of hours. Move it back to the "hot spot", and catch them as fast as you can drop it in front of them. So make sure you are working the whole structure, inside and out. You'll also find the majority of the nicer fish are close to the bottom or hanging out close to the school, but not with them. Good luck! Don't forget to check out any steep dropoffs as well at all depths.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good casting lake with jigs,cranks and small spinnerbaits.

Post Thanks / Like

Answer: You just ain't tryin' hard enough! :D lol

Check the cover that is at the same depth you are catching fish while trolling. That maybe a good way to find em, troll and mark the depth, then move to cover at that same depth.

How clear of a lake is it? If it is fairly clear water, maybe you are spooking the fish when you get up on the cover to fish it. Trolling keeps you pretty far from your bait. Maybe try casting from as far a distance as possible using a float (or whatever you have been trolling) and see what happens.

There could be MANY more factors. Thats the first thing that comes to mind. Good Luck - AF

Post Thanks / Like

The first things that comes to my mind is the small size of the impoundment, the extensive amount of cover and probably lack of preditor fish. All these things will cause the crappie to roam and not hide. Figure out their route and keep trolling. Come spring you should be able to target specific fish on beds.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris View Post
    The first things that comes to my mind is the small size of the impoundment, the extensive amount of cover and probably lack of preditor fish. All these things will cause the crappie to roam and not hide. Figure out their route and keep trolling. Come spring you should be able to target specific fish on beds.
    That does make alot of sense about no need to hide. I have a similar deal on a 86 acre lake. But big difference is there is absolutley no cover. Large circle lake with steep boulder bank dropping to around 25 feet. Only way I can seem to catch them is trolling jigs right near the bottom, and they come pretty slow most days.

I want to get out and ice fish it, but think it might be a crapshoot with really bad odds.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a local lake here that was built back in the late 80's early 90's. For years you couldn't catch a crappie unless you were trolling the lake or casting all over the place. However, as soon as the catfish that they stocked got up in size and were able to start feeding on some of these panfish, the bite switched up to the fish holding near cover. Now, it's hover over a brushpile and wear 'em out.
    Hunting and Fishing the Carolinas www.carolinasoutdoor.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    The crappie might be deep down in the cover. You might try working the bottom around the whole structure. I've sat anchored over Crappie many times and only to have one certain area about a foot in diameter that they would bite. Move a rod 2' off that spot, and maybe one fish in a couple of hours. Move it back to the "hot spot", and catch them as fast as you can drop it in front of them. So make sure you are working the whole structure, inside and out. You'll also find the majority of the nicer fish are close to the bottom or hanging out close to the school, but not with them. Good luck! Don't forget to check out any steep dropoffs as well at all depths.
    What Crappie Reaper said. But, what is the deal with that Avatar. I ain't never seen a trick like that. I wished I could make that face at my wife when she gets on my butt!!
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Im from western NC too! What part are you in.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Reaper?

Whoaaaaaaa, what a face! Is that how one looks after a Night Stalk?
    You can't finish what you don't start