Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worst weather conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worst weather conditions

Pretty "crappy" weather around lately, Guess it's time to welcome winter. I used to brave whatever elements mother nature threw out. If I had planned to go fishing on any given day, I would go regardless of the weather. Since I haven't had the opportunity to go in a quite a while, I'm about to that point again. I just wondered if any of you could share some experiences you've had on the water where you were successful catching slabs in undesirable winter weather.

My best was when I boated my first Musky. It was 19 degrees outside sleeting and spitting snow. Despite the weather, I stuck it out and managed to catch a 38" musky. When I boated back to the ramp the snow and ice had formed so much on my face mask that I looked like a monster from the North Pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went this morning, the temperature right now is 21 with fog. It was probably about 14 this morning. I caught one nice fat crappie, about 10", some dinks and some super-dinks. Ice formed on the guides and I had to keep dipping my rod tip in the water, and when I caught a fish my jigs were frozen by the time I picked up my rod.

In the past few winters, however, I caught several limits (along with everyone else at the dock who knew how to drop a jig and hold it still) in the driving winds and freezing cold. We had t break ice a few times just to fish the inside of that dock. But crappy weather just makes catching a limit of slabs that much more exciting. It's more of an adventure when you go out in this kind of weather.

Stephen
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best crappie fishing I've had has been during the worst weather. I'm fortunate to have a small river with some deep creeks nearby that I can access by foot. I'm not much on playing in the boat when the wind is whipping 20 mph.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Early 1980's Iwent to the Pine's with My mom and Dad I wasn't a big Crappie guy then a bass man it was 13 degrees. at midnight let Me just say cold was I stupid or what any way we caught 71 crappie the smallest was .75 lbs with 25 over 2.0 and 3 at the 3 lb. mark guesse My dad wasn,t stupid.
    STICK-A-FORK-IN-ME-IM-DUMBER !
    www.CrazyAnglerTackle.com