HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Fork Muskies

Post Thanks / Like

Default East Fork Muskies

Nightprowler
    Crappie Hunter

East Fork Muskies
    XENIA, OH - The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife stocked an additional 400 muskie in East Fork Lake after receiving a generous donation from the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources.
    The Division began stocking muskies in East Fork Lake in late summer of 2008. The initial stocking of 1,139 took place in September. The Division of Wildlife selected East Fork Lake to provide additional sport fishing opportunities in southwest Ohio. The advanced fingerlings range from 10-12 inches each.
    The surplus musky came from a hatchery in Palestine W.V. Kincaid fish hatchery crew transported and released the fish in East Fork Lake on November 20.
    For more information on Muskellunge management in Ohio visit us at ODNR Division of Wildlife - Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Birding, Wildlife Viewing & Research in Ohio . Anglers can also share their experiences fishing for this toothy game fish on the Division of Wildlife’s Musky Angler Log

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.a...75&EntryID=829

Post Thanks / Like

They are definitely there. My buddy John (Ohio Crappie Boy) caught one two weeks ago right by the campground ramp. It was probably 10" long and thin as could be. Question is, what kind of effect on other fishing will the muskies have? Are we gonna be breaking off jigs on muskies all spring while crappie fishing? I'm not one who is crazy about them being put in EF. I'd just assume see them stick with the hybrid stripers. Just not sure what kind of impact muskie will have on the crappie. Probably none, but I'm hard headed. I'm sure a few years from now when I finally catch a big one I'll change my tune.....
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I hooked into a 26 inch muskie this summer. I was small mouth fishing in a river using a solid body tube on my ultra light with 4lb test! Took me awhile to get it in, and thought for sure it would bite off my line. Actualy thought I had a carp until it started skippin across the top of water heading upstream. One crazy fish!!!

I have heard stories of them being caught in this river but never saw any first hand. Rest of the summer fishing there, I upsized my lures half the time I was out just praying another would take hold.

Just remember, don't lip em', they have got some nasty teeth!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I can also tell you for a fact they are there I also caught a small one out of the cove beside the campground ramp on the wed before thanksgiving. Was only about 10 inches or so but appeared very healthy. I don't think they wil have a huge effect on the crappie and the reason I say so is I fish a lot in Minnesota and there are a ton of lakes up there that are full of crappie and skis but don't have the shad like eastfork does so hopefully they grow plenty big and the crappie fishing stays as good or continues to improve. I would have rather seen them put walleye or saugers in than the skis or hybrids but that's just my humble thoughts. Oh well its back to work for me God bless and good fishing to all

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake cowan

They have had muskie in lake cowan for at least 10 years , hasn't affected the crappie from that respect .

Post Thanks / Like

I caught that one that speckwick was talkin about that day by the camp ground, perdy wild lookin fish. He never made it to the boat but was out of the water long enough to tell what it was. Well take care and stay warm and good fishin.

John
    O_C_B

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a few more muskies were stocked this week in EF.
    NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

You had to go back a looong way to find this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with EF, but I don't think they'd hurt. I have 3 of the top Muskie Lakes around me....Leesville, Salt Fork, and Piedmont. The Crappie fishing at these lakes is very good. Rarely have issues with Muskie hittin the crappie jigs. It happens, but I get more saugeye than muskie. Bass fishin I used to get a few Muskie hits a year. The stock size I'm sure the possibility is higher, but I doubt overall it's gonna hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed how old this thread was....haha Has this stocking hurt or helped anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast