Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Put me on First Ice Crappie (Maps inside)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Put me on First Ice Crappie (Maps inside)

Its been 10 years since i've been ice fishing. And i was in highschool and basically would redrill old holes i found and fished them. well i've gotten a bit more sophisticated i think and we are trying to do it right now.

there are a few lakes we will be giving a shot as well as some farm ponds and such.

i want to crack these to resevoirs though. i have some ideas but would like to see where some more veteran anglers would tackle for some decent ice fishing.

the stars are added stake beds. the round patch of dots are stumps.

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Take this for what it costs you.
    My basic strategy on reservoirs if to fish either along steep drops (they are even better if the creek/river bed bends into it) or on flats next to or just off of cover. I also stick around mid lake. I've never done that well very shallow or in the deepest areas on man made lakes like this.
    About any place that has stumps or stake beds could hold crappies on a lake like that but I'd stick to the middle of the lake.

I think nearly as important as where is when. It has always seemed to me that you can catch crappies near cover on flats all day but those travelling steep drop offs or between cover bite best in the early morning or evening.

Good luck,
    Tim