PDA

View Full Version : Somebody stole my pontoon..............

Cane Pole
06-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Well kinda. Looks like mother nature will have it for a few weeks anyway..

http://www.tomsstuff.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/june3.jpg

http://www.tomsstuff.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/june4.jpg

papasage
06-05-2005, 07:32 PM
had that to happen to me on my 15 ft. runabout . it was a wild chicken that used mine . there was another one took it this year . this year never hatched for some reason. we have them all over town . they arenot chicken . but they look like them . they are bermease fowl. like living on the farm waking up to roosters crowing .had a pick but it is on my computer at the office .

DmDuck
06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Now look what ya done ...out of commission for a few weeks . Ya know if you woulda kept that thing moving and had a cold beverage of chioce in there it wouldn't have happened . ROFLMAO

BTW...what is that darned thing anyway ( ok besides the obvious I know it's a bird ) looks like it would put an eye out with that beak !!

Cane Pole
06-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Now look what ya done ...out of commission for a few weeks . Ya know if you woulda kept that thing moving and had a cold beverage of chioce in there it wouldn't have happened . ROFLMAO

BTW...what is that darned thing anyway ( ok besides the obvious I know it's a bird ) looks like it would put an eye out with that beak !!

I dunno. The only type of bird that I can identify accurately are the ones I shoot and eat.

CrappieLips
06-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Cane ;;; just wait til they hatch out the you can take the whole family out for a spin on the lake, cheep ,cheep, cheep. papa.

1weezer
06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Tom, when you stopped by the other day, you didn't tell me that you were expecting.
LOL

whizkids
06-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I spend a lot of time nurturing bluebirds but that's the first Yellow Crested Medicine Nester I ever saw.

" Wheres the pontoon?"

http://images.wildmadagascar.org/pictures/kirindy/yellow_head_bird_3.JPG

Fishnbuddy
06-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Take those eggs fishing!

CrappieLips
06-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Take those eggs fishing!

fishnbuddy some body would have to set on them to keepem warm

DmDuck
06-05-2005, 09:02 PM
A Yellow Crested What ? ahhh heck with it ...LOL....eat it !!!

Crappie Stalker
06-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Those birds are playing games with you! First they take over your ladder so that you can't paint,Then when you try to relax they have taken over your boat.they know where they are safe.haha :)
Life can get you moving so fast and in so many directions,but when you see momma on that nest it makes you feel like a kid again.

Roberta
06-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Not likely you would have an African bird on your boat. Without a better photo of the adult, I have to go on what you posted and the nest type, eggs, and head look right for a yellow warbler. Your area is part of their summer range. Is there a greenish cast to the eggs? I see no eye ring, eye line or patch to make me think it's anything else, but I'm only an amateur birder. You ought to give your local chapter of the Audubon Society a call for identification. - Roberta

Moose1am
06-06-2005, 01:40 PM
You and those Birds! LOL

Cane Pole
06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Not likely you would have an African bird on your boat. Without a better photo of the adult, I have to go on what you posted and the nest type, eggs, and head look right for a yellow warbler. Your area is part of their summer range. Is there a greenish cast to the eggs? I see no eye ring, eye line or patch to make me think it's anything else, but I'm only an amateur birder. You ought to give your local chapter of the Audubon Society a call for identification. - Roberta

I agree about the warbler. There are some blue colored birds similar that build nests in the poles that support my boat dock. These birds are very small. Maybe 3 to 4 inches long. They build nests here every year at the boat dock. First time in the boat though. The beak is very long and pointed, so I think this rules out the finch...I just don't know. They have a home til the gone though..

Roberta
06-07-2005, 06:58 AM
There are a number of blue-patterned warblers that nest in your area, so it's possible you are in the middle of a warbler "hot spot". Warbler trips have been going on here for the past month with bus loads of people heading up to lake Erie to see thousands of the tiny birds that are migrating to Canada. They stop along the Ohio lake shore to rest and build up their fat reserves for the flight across the lake. During my naturalist classes this spring, we spotted three or four varieties that were headed north, but none of those nest in this area. If I told my instructor about your boat bird, he'd probably be packed and headed to your dock the same day LOL. - Roberta

labill
06-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Photo: Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center
Recording of song by Lang Elliott
High-quality recordings from Nature.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/LaBill/yellowwarb.jpg
yellowwarb.jpg

4 inches. Male is easily identified by the yellow head, throat, breast, and belly. The female is duller than the male. One of the most widespread warblers in North America occurring just about everwhere except the southeastern and south-central United States and the extreme tundra in the north. Overwinters in America tropics. Usually found in thick brush by streams and marshes. Food is insects. The nest is constructed of bark, plant fibers, and down, usually placed in the fork of a small tree or bush. The clutch consists of 4 or 5 pale blue eggs. Incubation takes about 12 days and the young are ready to leave the nest 10 to 12 days later. This species has a local breeding population in southern Florida among the Mangroves.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The eggs are speckled brown in Tom's photo, instead of the pale blue stated in this text."

Bowfin
06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
So, all I have to do is lay an egg in your boat and it's mine? I've been thinking it might be nice to have a 'toon lately...

Roberta
06-07-2005, 01:28 PM
>>>"The eggs are speckled brown in Tom's photo, instead of the pale blue stated in this text."<<

And from the National Geographic Song and Garden Birds of North America: " Four or five grayish or greenish eggs are blotched with brown." Their photos support that.
The main reason though, that I suggested yellow warbler is that the head of the brooding bird Tom posted is as close to a female yellow warbler as anything in my varous field guides. The female lacks the red speces and bright yellow head of the male - it's more toward the olive. As I said, could be something else, but I'll bet it's a warbler of one type or another. - Roberta

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
06-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I personally have never seen a Warbler before. Neat looking bird to say the least. I have no idea what it is myself. I am about 100% sure that Roberta is right about this not being a Finch though. Way too long and Black of a beak for that.

Cane Pole's gonna be a brand new Pa Pa one more time! Are you gonna teach them to fish too? :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa

shadow
06-13-2005, 12:14 PM
http://cajunbait2000.net/toucans/greenfemale.jpg
I found this bird hopping my bamboo grove. Does anyone know what it is?
Cajunbait

DENNIS BOWERS
06-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Canepole-maybe when they hatch you can teach em to to be flying fishfinders!!Good Fishin To Ya!!Dennis

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
06-15-2005, 10:16 AM
http://cajunbait2000.net/toucans/greenfemale.jpg
I found this bird hopping my bamboo grove. Does anyone know what it is?
Cajunbait

It's Freaking Huge!!! Thats what it is!! LOL! :D

Run!!! It's Bird Zilla!!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

shadow
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
It's Freaking Huge!!! Thats what it is!! LOL! :D

Run!!! It's Bird Zilla!!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
Hey Tim, that is actually cajunbaits toucan (green aracaris). He raises them. We just wanted to see what kind of response we would get. The picture came out way bigger than we wanted. check out his website to see a better picture of his birds and other animals.... www.cajunbait2000.net :D