Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why troll with short rods out the back

Post Thanks / Like

Default why troll with short rods out the back

I used 8 footers trolling out the back last year. Think I'm going to try short rods out back ,like 5 footers and keep my 8 foot BM 8 footers up front on the sides. My son sits in the back so he will be watching 4 rods and with me upfront watching only 2. Where I fish it is a 3 rod limit per person,
    Why the small rods ??

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Uhhhh, Doc ...

Quote Originally Posted by laserdoc View Post
    I used 8 footers trolling out the back last year. Think I'm going to try short rods out back ,like 5 footers and keep my 8 foot BM 8 footers up front on the sides. My son sits in the back so he will be watching 4 rods and with me upfront watching only 2. Where I fish it is a 3 rod limit per person,
    Why the small rods ??
    I can't answer your question, about why use short rods out the back .... but, you must be using some of that "fuzzy math" for your rod distribution

The law says you can only 'fish' with a max of "THREE" rods per person ... and that means that each person must only be tending a max of three rods ... NOT that the number of rods vs the number of persons fishing should divide out to three apiece

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

As long as I don't have more than six rods in the water with 2 people on the boat ,the man dosen't care. He pulled up to my boat last year and only wanted to check the live well

Post Thanks / Like

I use my 12 footers out the front, 8 footers next, and ultra lights out the back, so I can cover about 28 feet as I troll. The reason I use the short rods out the back is cost, $15 for an ultralight with the reel, versus $35 for just the longer pole.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

In My Opinion 8 Foot Is A Short Rod I Use 16.14.and 12 Out Each Side And 8 Footers Out The Back
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't really matter out back, just for ease of operation and takes less space in boat for shorter rods.

Post Thanks / Like

We fish 6 rods out the back. The 2 shortest poles are on the corners and angle out just a little to give a little more space to the 4 in the middle. Because of angling the 2 corner poles out just a little, I had to lengthen my short poles(6 ft) in the front to 8 footers. I use a 14, 10, and 8 ft on each side in the front. In case of rod restrictions,i.e.CUSA only allows 8 rods, I would probably drop my 2-8 footers in the front and whatever 2 in the back my partner wanted to drop in the back. He mainly fishes with 7 and 8 footers out the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I just got out my fiberglass trolling rods.Put my graphite spider rigging poles up until next fall. I have Two 10 footers that will go on each side up front. Then I have two 8 footers. I plan on running 8 footers on either side of the engine so they go straight back and I though I would pick up two 5 foot fiberglass rods(uncle bucks fiberglass crappie rods ) at BPS for 12 dollars a piece and angle those out a bit from the rear corners.
    Does side like the right setup?

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I would do.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason we use shorter rods in the back is to give the guy up front room to get his lines out ths side with out getting tangled up with the guys in the back. With a couple of 12 foot and ten foot rods up front you can pull a 27 foot path as you go. With two in the back of the boat with 6 rods. This gives you unlimted jig colors plus a jig 2-3 feet apart. Length is not much issue in the back of the boat when spider rigging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast