Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Bead Flies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glass Bead Flies

Finally got off my lazy arse and did some tying today. I have been waiting for my order of glass beads from the fly shop but they have not arrived yet. So I went and got some more beads from the craft store. Also stopped by Gander Mountain to pick up a few tying supplies. Here are a couple of the Killer Caddis Flies tied on a Mustad size 16 1X short hook. This is the smallest hook I have used. Last pick is a group shot. Sorry for the bad pics.

I used the smallest glass beads I could find at the craft store. These are 11/0 seed beads which are small beads but not the smallest. I used silver lined green and transparent garnet beads. Hopefully I got this sizing thing figured out.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Interesting

. Interesting fly. Could you post tying directions on that one?
    I can't quite figure out how to hold the beads in place without the tying thread going over the outside of the glass beads.
    Also, do you have macro setting on the camera?
    Thanks forr posting the fly. ole Mike

Post Thanks / Like

There a few things you need to know about tying a glass bead fly like this. The main thing is you need a base on the hook so you dont break them while fishing. There is a book tittled Tying Glass Bead Flies , by Joe J. Warren which is where i got the pattern for this fly. Is also gives some great info and patterns for these flies.The way the book say to tie flie is as follows:

1-put the beads on the hook first
    2-mount in vise with beads near eyes
    3-start thread directly behind the eyes and wrap a base down to the hook bend
    (beads should fit over thread base with a snug like fit)
    4-dub a butt to keep beads from falling off hook
    5-whipp finish and tie off thread. Slide beads to butt and retie thread in
    6-Dub head whip finish and finish fly

The material list for this fly is:

Hook: Daiichi 1250, size 12-18
    Thread: Chartreuse at butt, wine to finish 6/0
    Body: Three to five Killer Caddis beads (ir), small or midge
    depending on hook size, color to suit
    Butt: Antron dubbing, color of beads
    Head: Black natural fur dubbing

This is just a guideline as to how to tie but this fly can be tied differntly. I dont change thread color so I dont have to retie. I do wrap over and in between each bead with a couple half hitches. Just expirment with what you are tying. I had also posted another bead fly on here under tittle of simple fly which is another fly pattern I got from this book. If you plan on tying with glass beads I reccomend you check it out for the patterns alone.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to the book on amazon.com

Amazon.com:

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thank you!!!

Sure appreciate the help. The book link was REAL helpfull, and I bought one.
    I have a few#8 seed beads, some #12s, some 11s and scads of 13s All French, which have a slightly larger center hole. I used to do beadwork. I'm just picking up on some #8 beadhead flies thanks to AW bringing my attention to them.
    Again I thank you for the help. I'll be posting some bead flies when I get the book. ole Mike

Post Thanks / Like

A word of caution on the glass beads. I don't use them here because the green turtles we have will bite them off the hook. I only use metal beads now. Just something to consider if you have turtles where you are.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Default educated turtles

dixieangler, I pondered over the turtles bothering the glass bead flies for some time. I finally Googled the Green Turtle. We don't have anything resembling them here, and it's a long cast to salt water anywhere. lol I'm sure turtles, like bluegill, take on local names so you might have a freshwater turtle that has taken on that name.
    I've been fortunate to have never had a turtle of any kind mess with my flies. It does sort of supprise me as we have a slew of turtle and I doubt they would pass on a tasty bug. ole Mike

Post Thanks / Like

i think he is talking about if you get hung up and lose the fly one might come along and try to eat it
    and im guessing the glass beads could break and cut him and kill him but realy im not sure about the beads but if all that happen i would get the hook would be the real prob
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I love tying up little beauties like these!!! One thing I love to do is use larva lace or the bug body wrap.... after tying on the thread base I'll tie in a strip of the lace or bug wrap (the lace being a thin hollow plastic tube material while the wrap is a thin slightly wider plastic strip of material).... after mounting the beads (and it'll be really snug with that lace or wrap!)... I just start wrapping the lace/wrap from the butt up to the eye around and in between the beads and tie off near the head (be sure to leave room for the peacock herl or whatever material you're gonna use to make the head).

that plastic around the beads makes for a more squishy body and the beads really help in giving it a stellar segmented look!! Give it a try sometime!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller
    I've been fortunate to have never had a turtle of any kind mess with my flies.
    Lucky you. But I'm sure its only a matter of time if you use glass beads. For some reason the turtles like those glass beads. Maybe its the flash of the beads. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by gabulldog
    i think he is talking about if you get hung up and lose the fly one might come along and try to eat it
    and im guessing the glass beads could break and cut him and kill him but realy im not sure about the beads but if all that happen i would get the hook would be the real prob
    Nope. Turtles will bite the fly just fishing it. I don't "usually" catch the turtles but the fly is destroyed with the glass beads all bitten off the fly. It is no fun if I actually hook a turtle. Snapping the leader is better than trying to recover the fly and remove the hook.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast