Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is mercury really that bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is mercury really that bad?

I posted a few days ago about repowering my boat and thanks for all the replies..Since then I have contacted at least 20 different dealers and 2 different mechanics...To say the least I have had no positive response about mercury motors...at least 3/4 say to go with eveinrude e-techs...am i being schemed for price here or are evinrude's really that much better...they are all telling me, "you cant argue with 3 years no maintenance..there is a reason there is 3 years no maintenance"...they all say mercury is way behind in technology and cheap parts...yamaha, suzuki, and honda are also hgih on their boards, but they have all told me to steer clear of mercury..this si really just blowing my mind..any thoughts? mercury is so much cheaper than evinrude's or yammie's..i guess there may be a reason that you get what you pay for..

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury

About 25 yrs. or so ago --I had 3 mercury,s on 3 different Rangers[ fishin tours.]---every one blew up [thats right--blue up]
    Went with one evinrude [ran it two years and quit fishin ]
    Started 4 years ago crappie fishin--bought a LOWE with a 90 hp. 2 cycle--merc.---it ,s not been that bad--minor electric problems but theres never been a motor thats harder to start cold --don,t see the opti-max
    having that prob
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default reasearch

When I was researching outboards a few years ago the only really recommended brands were Yamahaha and honda. I dont think id ever buy a new outboard that was not a honda given their reputation.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I have had Johnsons,a mariner and for the last 10 years been running 2 stroke Mercs, with no problems what so ever except to change plugs every couple years needed or not,I'm pretty tough on em,fish a whole lot and they will haul the mail. With that said the E tec does seem to be a reliable,quite,good running engine, a friend got one recently and likes it.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all companies make good and bad engines....just depends on which one on the line you end up with. After BRP bought out OMC their engines got WAY better...the old ficht engines I've been told to steer clear from...One of the best they ever built was the early 90's intruder and faststrike. They were beasts....unless you took them in for service and got detuned! There were a few years in there though that OMC had a bad time...then BRP brought them back with the etecs...I've heard good things about them...I've heard good things about optis...but I've heard the best about the 4 stroke yammies, hondas, suzukis and such. When my GT150 Johnnyrude goes south I hope to be in a posistion to get a 4stroker on my Ranger.

Mercury has also been known for high performance engines....you rarely see high performance upgrades or forums for the johnnyrudes...now I do not know about the newer ones. I was always told that for the recreational user the johnnyrudes were better and for performance get a merc. Thats also why you see more questions and problems on forums for mercs (older) because of their performance characteristics many get pushed harder. Most of what I know is about 90's and pervious engines....carbed engines. Thats where my info comes from...can't tell you about newer ones...all I know is I hear really good stuff about the 4strokers I mentioned earlier...I really want a yammie myself. :D
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Been running Mercs, both consumer and high performance motors for years. and never had a powerhead malfunction. I've had a trim solenoid go bad, and a lower unit go south.

I think all the major brands have had their problems at one time or another with their direct injection technology, but have worked out the bugs.

4-strokes, although not as performance oriented, are the direction we are being forced to go, due to environmental concerns..
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre View Post
    I posted a few days ago about repowering my boat and thanks for all the replies..Since then I have contacted at least 20 different dealers and 2 different mechanics...To say the least I have had no positive response about mercury motors...at least 3/4 say to go with eveinrude e-techs...am i being schemed for price here or are evinrude's really that much better...they are all telling me, "you cant argue with 3 years no maintenance..there is a reason there is 3 years no maintenance"...they all say mercury is way behind in technology and cheap parts...yamaha, suzuki, and honda are also hgih on their boards, but they have all told me to steer clear of mercury..this si really just blowing my mind..any thoughts? mercury is so much cheaper than evinrude's or yammie's..i guess there may be a reason that you get what you pay for..
    Well, the folks your calling should be the experts so assuming they are not just competing against Mercury for business I think your best to go with their advice. I have one each Johnson, Mercury, & Honda all of which get me out and get me back to my satisfaction but none are new so who knows how they might compare to a current production unit.
    Maybe it would be worthwhile to note which outboards the fishing guides prefer as those are the ones that get worked pretty hard.
    Your doing your home work, that's gotta be good.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I was always a Johnson/Evenrude guy for many years and then Yamaha took over as the best there was. I now have a 115 4 Stroke Merc and have no problems and no trouble starting it even after it sits for a while. It is Fuel injected and I have a friend that has a Merc Dealership and he told me this motor is very good, but some Merc's may not be as good.

I did have a 1996 200 Merc that was fast top end, but no low end at all (traded it of a 200 Yamaha). If you were putting it on the trailer and stopped before it got all the way on, you either had to crank it on or start over as it would not push it on the trailer. No problems like that with this one though.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running a 150 efi mercury for 12 years now and I have never had a problem. I also have had a 7.5 mercury on my jon boat and never had a problem until someone needed it more than me and now have a 9.9 mercury on it.
    Last edited by fingerlicken; 12-11-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Im only 26 but i have experienced owning just about every motor under the sun. i practicaly live for fish and duck. if you want high end speed got with e tec or merc opti's evinrude e tec will out live you. merc will fly but they do have electrical issues but hardly no moving parts issues but e tec are pricey compared to mercs.. Now in your lower hp yamaha is hands down the best, most reliable and the lightest. We have 3 jon boats we run out of the camp for yoyo and running lines that have all older evinrudes and johnsons. they are 30 and 40 years old but still tickin. they do have there minor issues but what can you expect they are dinosaurs and low money investments. Oh and they als weight as much as a boeing 747 LOL. If you have the money stick with post OMC evinrudes and yamahas, but if you are budgeted go with the mercs and roll with it. just keep regular maintenance and avoid long periods of running at high rpms (really on any motor) and youll be set
    A bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast