Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bait Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Question

I was wondering what type of bait everyone is using this time of year, i.e jigs, tubes, minnows, etc. Also, if you could only have one bait this time of year what would it be. I am also wondering what the best line is for fishing in deep water for cold weather crappie? Thanks for the info.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine would be a 3" Blk/Chartruse slab slayer. But I just got my Rocky Top 3" tubes so I may have a new favorite. I will let you know after tommorow. I use Stren HiVis braid.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Bobby Garland baby shad and the Lindy fuzzy grub. I've been using them for two years now and they work great. Before that I used the 2 1/2in FinS fish and the 1 1/2in FinS shad. I also like using 8lb hi vis braid and if I'm fishing clear water I attach clear mono to the braid with a uni-knot and tie my jigs to the mono.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been upsizing a bit with Wooly Beavertails to reduce the number of dinks (still catching some dinks, however). SlabBusters are always hard to beat, though. Favorite colors are black/chart and white/chart. Had some luck with purple/pearl recently, too.

I'd like to try the larger 3" slab slayer or Rocky Top jigs.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

They'll hit anything if you put it in their face long enough,i try to keep it simple this tme of year find anything from the list you mentioned that they will hit get confident with it and the strikes will come to me presentation is much more crucial than jig type or color......i use nothing but hi vis wally marshall 6lb line year round,good stuff.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I would use slab buster eletric chicken and 6lb wally marshall hi vis. I bought some pumkin/chart slab busters today to try based on a report that it is the hot bait on LOZ right now.

Post Thanks / Like

In the winter on Stockton we use red/chart blk/char Vibra King made by Yum
    On Truman we use blk/yellow or yellow/green made by Southern Pro. But as Bugman said this time of year they will hit anything as long as its presented correctly. Hope this helps & good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoon feed the specks !! i love the kastemaster 1/16 spoon!! with a jig above it !! wow FISH ON , FISH ON !!
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys. I am planning on fishing MTL on Sunday and I will let you know how I did.