Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to say the word Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to say the word Crappie

Merriam-Webster Pronunciation

Cool link that actually says the word to you at Merriam-Webster. I thought I see a post that asked this question, so I thought I'd show you this.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe - here we go again. That pronunciation has a crop-pie sound though it isn't as definite as some I have heard. Its a bit of a centrist pronunciation but closer to crop than crap. If you go through all the online dictionaries with pronunciations you can listen to you find both crop and crap usages. For example here is a more strict pronunciation. crappie definition | Dictionary.com and here http://www.yourdictionary.com/crappie and here Crappie. They all use the crap not the crop pronunciation which I personally use and think is correct.

My argument is always this. Find one word that has "ap" in it that is pronounced "op" where it is used like crappie with a letter before "ap" like trap, snap, clap, happy, or in pappy. It just doesn't happen. If you find the "op" pronunciation its always spelled "op".

Therefore it is my suggestion, respectfully to Slab and MW dictionary and the others that pronounce it the "op" way, that they are incorrect and it should be pronounced "ap" even if it bears a unfortunate similarity to another word that some feel is offensive, even when most of the people who pronounce it the "op" way can swear like a sailors when they smack their thumb with a hammer or lose a big slab "crap"pie at the side of the boat and don't think twice about it.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a regional dialect thing. Like I've said before - when I'm catching them or eating them I call them "croppy" but when they won't bite I call them "crappy". If in fact the word came from the French Canadian word "crapet" it would be interesting to know how that is pronounced. Of course it may also have regional variations.

There are a few words in the English language that are spelled with "ap" but are pronounced "op" like "papa" and "tilapia" and there are a host of word where an "a" followed by a variety of other letters (or no other letters) sound like an "o" as in, "fall", "tall", "small", "call", "ma", "pa", "saw", "craw", "spa", "claw", "plausible", "sauna", etc.

When I was in grade school we were taught (there's another one) that each vowel had a "hard" and a "soft" pronunciation but the letter "A" was special and had three sounds, the third being the "shwa" sound, which is very similar to a soft "o" sound.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 12-11-2008 at 06:19 AM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Most people down here call them "crap-pee". I have caught myself saying both versions from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

I always say "crop ee" It hurts my ego too much to tell people I am a "crap ee" fisherman!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crop ie

I have always heard them called crop iee here in north Alabama. The only time I hear them call anything else is from people who have moved here from somewhere else or was taught this word from someone elsewhere. I also call papa poppa instead of paw paw. Just remember that when crappie are removed from the grease everyone pronounces them the same. "DELICIOUS"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Merriam-Webster Pronunciation

Cool link that actually says the word to you at Merriam-Webster. I thought I see a post that asked this question, so I thought I'd show you this.
    yea slab thats a cool site as a born and bred southern i can split the differance and live with that one
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No pronunciation problem here, it's "SAC-AU-LAIT". I wouldn't eat nothing "crappie" and it don't look like it should be "croppie".
    From the bayou,
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ain't no way I am gonna call a crap-pee a croppie...just don't sound natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poppop View Post
    Ain't no way I am gonna call a crap-pee a croppie...just don't sound natural.
    That's understandable but for everyone that grew up hearing it pronounced "croppy", crappie doesn't sound natural.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 12-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast