Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: braid vs mono

Post Thanks / Like

Default braid vs mono

just wondering how many of you crappie fishermen out there switch to braid in the fall and winter time.I do for fishing brush piles so i wont break off so many times. And would like to know what is the up and down side to it and what size of braid you use? i use 50lb braid?

Post Thanks / Like

all depends on your choice of ammo! Good Post !
    A bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work!

Post Thanks / Like

I use iron silk 4lb p-line 6lb or 8lb fire line braid

Post Thanks / Like

i prefer mono, but i would rather lose a jig than disturb the brush pile.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the opposite this year-used P.P. all year then just switched to 2 # mono for fishing the docks this winter.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Champ ...

Quote Originally Posted by champ202 View Post
    just wondering how many of you crappie fishermen out there switch to braid in the fall and winter time.I do for fishing brush piles so i wont break off so many times. And would like to know what is the up and down side to it and what size of braid you use? i use 50lb braid?
    I fish brush, standing trees, downed trees, submerged piles of wood, docks, and rocky banks ... all with 4lb mono. I use weedless jigheads, and rarely break off. On minnow, minnow/slipfloat type rigs ... I use #1 lite wire Aberdeen hooks, and can usually straighten out the hook, even with 4lb line. But ... I do have one outfit rigged strictly for minnow/slipfloat, that I use in the Fall (locally) when I fish down in the branches of standing Cedars. It's a 8 foot flyrod with spinning reel & 20/6 Spiderwire (grey). Hook & sinker are attached directly to Spiderwire (no leader) ... and I can straighten out most any hook I use.
    The only time I use a outfit, for casting, that's spooled with braid ... I use 10/2 PowerPro hi-vis yellow. This outfit is primarily for casting Roadrunners & Whirly Bees.
    (maybe some of that info will be useful, or give you some ideas :p )

(these pros/cons are what I've experienced with 10/2 PowerPro, and may or may not represent other brands or pound test versions)

Pros of braid :

no stretch (less power needed on hookset) (drag needs to be loosened just a hair, to prevent breaking rod or stripping gears )
    can usually straighten out hook
    casts good
    comes in hi-vis or low-vis coloration
    lasts for quite a long time (economical)

Cons of braid :

can tend to get air knots (under certain casting conditions or casting styles)
    knots can slip open under pressure (unless proper knot is used/tied)
    Will cut you wide open, if hands/fingers are used to pull it with
    Scissors cut it nice & straight/blunt ... clippers & some other type cutting tools may leave the tag end frayed (making it difficult to put thru hook or bait eye)
    very limp, so it may tangle more easily (can be blown around quite easily by just a light breeze)

Where & how I fish during the Fall, lends me to not use braid as often as I do during the Spring ... but that's mostly due to the style of fishing I employ, rather than any pro/con of the braid. I don't fish enough during Winter, to warrant switching .... and my Spring thru Fall fishing is mostly casting jigs to wood or shooting docks, which is done primarily with mono. My outfit rigged with PowerPro, is used under certain circumstances ... where I can cast and retrieve ABOVE submerged timber, or alongside vertical cover (like bridge pilons, dock posts, cliff walls/rock banks). And I don't tightline or bobber fish with minnows often enough to warrant having more than the one outfit rigged for that style of fishing.

... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

50 lb braid??? Why do you use such heavy line? Curious minds want to know.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Mono for me. I find braid wraps too easily. I spend too much time unwrapping it from limbs, the end of my pole, and anything else it gets near.

Post Thanks / Like

Braid
    Pros: very sensitive for jig fishing, strong, cast good.
    Cons: blows around in the wind worse than mono. not visible under black light.
    as someone mentioned above, loosen your drag a little or you can rip the hook right outta the lips unless they take it real good.
    Mono
    Pros: cast almost as good as braid. very visible under black light. more tolerable in wind.
    Cons:not as sensitive and strong

I have both and really only prefer the braid on the days when they arent hammering the jig. seems like the braid is better on those days. but when they are hammering them jigs it doesen't matter to me.

try some of the Power Pro 10/2 hi vis yellow. you can leave the bottom 1/3 of your mono on the spool and top it off with the more expensive Power Pro.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of izorline (mono) but just recently tried power point. I like it enough that i think im gonna keep two poles rigged up with p.p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast