Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question for the gun gurus

Post Thanks / Like

Default question for the gun gurus

Pulled out an old .22 yesterday,been sitting in the basement for at least 6 years.Took it apart and cleaned it up,lots of surface rust with some small pitting on the barrel.

Cleaned it up with a little oil and 000 steel wool,left some discoloration.I know barrels are blued,but is there any reason I can't just paint it with black enamel???

Its not a real valuable gun,old but not an antique.The action was fine and slide was smooth-ran a brush thru the barrel and seemed clean with no rust.

Any comments?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I did the same thing years ago on an old 22. not something that I was going to sell anyway. looks good and as far as I am concerded it didn't hurt the value any.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say if you were going to spray the enamel or brush it on, if you are not overly concerned about the enamel coming off i'd say GO for it.
    To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh no!

don't paint it, just grease it up with rust inhibitive grease or even vasaline. Painting a barrel is just yuk!!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting it blued isn't that expensive. It wouldn't hurt to check with your local gunsmith to get a price. I had my dad's old 1971 hunting rifle re-blued, put a new stock and scope on it, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to finish it when I get home...it's about 1/2 done.Went with brushed on enamal...not the greatest job,but way better than it started out as.Wish I took some before pics will will try to remember to post some after pics.