Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-Line Spinners

Post Thanks / Like

Default In-Line Spinners

Is there any of yall that use in line spinners like Mepps- Blue Fox- Panther Martin for long lining or trolling?
    I'm thinking of buying a few and trying them for long lining here on Pickwick Lake. I don't see why they wouldn't work.
    I know a few that long line Road Runners and do pretty good.

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

They are not designed to run very deep, no matter how much line you have out. For deep trolling, I'd go with a safety pin-type spinner (like a Beetle Spin) or a Roadrunner.

Post Thanks / Like

Default In-Line Spinners

I thought that you can get em up to about 1/4 oz, That would get it down pretty good wouldn't it?, I know nothing about them I never used them before.
    I was just thinking of other ways to catch crappie. Thanks for your reply.

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

No matter how heavy they are, they tend to ride up in the water column. It has to do with the angle of the blade.

I just use them for trout in streams. If the water is deeper than four or five feet, I use something else.

Mepps has a spinner called the DeepRunner that is supposed to work "deep" (not sure what their definition of "deep" is.) I have never used this one, though. Email Mepps and ask them how deep it will run.

http://www.mepps.com/products/info/i...lainsingle_739
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 12-09-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default In- Line Spinners

Ok Thanks you saved me some money then, I'll get some bettle spins, I got a lot of road runners.
    I'm having trouble with the rr turning over and around. Maybe I'm going to fast? or to slow?

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

If you did want to use in-line spinners you might use a barrel swivel with a short leader to help with line twist. You could even use a small weigh above the swivel to get it deeper. Just a though. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie cowboy View Post
    I'm having trouble with the rr turning over and around. Maybe I'm going to fast? or to slow?

crappie cowboy
    I wouldn't think it is the speed. What kind of trailer are you using on your road runner's? If it is a twist tail grub, the tail size may be too big for the jig weight and causing it to twist.

My fav trolling choice is the safety pin spinners and jig. I have never had any problem with line twist unless I am bumping bottom. I even use live minnows lip-hooked when the bite is tough.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do any trolling. But, I fish almost exclusively with roostertails on ultralight rigs in the spring for bream. I would think you wouldn't be moving fast enough to make the blade spin while trolling.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you use a loop knot instead of a hard knot?
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinners

If I were long lining say at a speed of .07 or so, would the blade be turning enough. I was thinking on using them in the spring, But like some one else said they might to fast for crappie.
    On the other hand guys pull crank baits and jigs, and catch crappie to at the same speeds.

crappie cowboy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast