Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Yahama/Johnson Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Yahama/Johnson Issues

I took delivery on my new "retirement rig" on the 20th of November, complete with a Yahama 90 horse Four-Stroke.

All was well until I was buying my insurance. Although I bought a "new" rig, the motor was manufactured in 2006! I was surprised and really annoyed. Come to find out, the dealer says that Johnson and Yahama have gone to NOT putting the year of manufacture on the motors. It is reflected ONLY on the paperwork.

They are doing this for obvious reasons. They have made way too many motors and are not selling so many these days. But there is a problem other than the obvious.

Other than being annoying, it may sound like I'm being picky. But it goes way beyond 'picky.' You see, my insurance will insure for "replacement value" only for a couple of years. After that? You guessed it. They treat it as a 2006 motor and there is a VAST reduction in its value as far as athe insurance is concerned. They will only insure what the paperwork reflects! So, new buyers of Yahama and Johnson, beware and go into the deal with your eyes wide open.

The jury is still out between me and my dealer. I contend that he owes me money because he sold the rig to me off the showroom floor. The boat was a 2009. The trailer was a 2009 and I had every right to believe that I was buying a 2009 motor.

There may be other manufactures doing the same thing, but he insurance companies are not going to be very flexible on this. Seems to me the manufactures are going to have to have a sale, get rid of the overstock and return to "business as usual." In the meantime, fishermen are caught in the middle, with little recourse outside of a court action.

If you've just bought a new Yahama or Johnson, better look at your paperwork. This issue, from what my dealer says, is a manufacture-wide issue and it affects every new buyer.

What say ye? <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

With all that said, they shouldn't have a 2006 motor "sitting" around for that long. Something smells fishy with that deal. I would take it back and tell em' you want a 09' motor or they can keep the whole rig. Who is the boat dealer? This is something that should have been shared with you on the front end.

I would not ask for money back. You definitely want a new motor for the insurance purposes. I would call their bluff and have a lawyer contact em' if they don't fix the problem.

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

You bought a 2009 rig you expect a 2009 motor. You don't but a 2009 car with a 2006 motor in it. Take the rig back and tell him you want the new motor that YOU paid for and expected.

Oh they're gonna come back and say well you signed for it, I'm sorry I'd press the issue. Call the Better Business Bureau and ask them if you truly have a case and have them send you something. Take that into the boat dealer and give him a copy and tell him you want the newer motor.

Fatman
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-10-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    All was well until I was buying my insurance. Although I bought a "new" rig, the motor was manufactured in 2006! I was surprised and really annoyed. Come to find out, the dealer says that Johnson and Yahama have gone to NOT putting the year of manufacture on the motors. It is reflected ONLY on the paperwork.
    aj
    That dealer is only partially correct. Yamaha and Mercury have chosen to eliminate model years, Johnson(what's left of them) and Evinrude still have model years and the date manufactured on every outboard.

Mercury Marine | Service & Warranty

Yamaha Outboard FAQs

2008 - Evinrude E-Tec - Facts arn't always "FACTS"+MODEL YEAR ELIMINATION PROBLEMS pictures from power boating photos on webshots

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a deal at bend over bills in Hot Springs. Heard allot of good things about his operation thats if he's the dealer.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Call your local Attorney Generals office and discuss a possible act of fraud committed by both the dealer and manufactures in this matter. You paid for a 2009 and received a 2006 motor. I would think they would gobble this up!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Arkie John wrote[QUOTEOther than being annoying, it may sound like I'm being picky][/QUOTE] No sir, you have every right to expect that to be a 2009 motor. The dealer should of be up front & informed you of a 2006 motor,another case of buyer beware in boating/electronic industry. This all should of been listed in bill of sale. Just like new cars have to have year-price sticker maybe it should be done in boat industry also. Contact some lawers & get their advice, I would go after them......
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-10-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Wow man i am sorry to h ear about your problem. People should really look at all options and ask what all plans insurance companies provide. you would be suprised that some of them you actually get the better end of the stick if something happens. I thought I was doomed when my boat got stolen. I had it for 2 years when it was stolen. I had it financed on a 10 year loan. Needless to say with finance charges and all, when it was stolen I owed a lot more than the actual value of the boat. I did not have gap insurance and thought i was going to have to pay out my crapper for the difference in what i owed and the actual value. I had never even read my insurance policy when they sent it to me and dont actually remember what i agreed to which was probably stupid on my part. When I read the policy it had actually listed about 3 or 4 different types that you could get. I just assumed that i got the least of the policies which is without better judgement what i usually tend to do. One of the policies was where they insured the amount of the loan and if something happened, they paid you the total amount of the policy, not the depreciation amount of what the boat was actually worth. They ended up paying my boat off and sent me a check for almost 4 thousand dollars, so I did not lose anything except my boat. They also told me they have an auto policy for my new car that if i get it and keep the policy that if anything happened 3 years from now it would pay the amount it would cost to buy a new one. So check with different companies to see what all they offer,

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    I took delivery on my new "retirement rig" on the 20th of November, complete with a Yahama 90 horse Four-Stroke.

They are doing this for obvious reasons. They have made way too many motors and are not selling so many these days. But there is a problem other than the obvious.

Other than being annoying, it may sound like I'm being picky. But it goes way beyond 'picky.' You see, my insurance will insure for "replacement value" only for a couple of years. After that? You guessed it. They treat it as a 2006 motor and there is a VAST reduction in its value as far as athe insurance is concerned. They will only insure what the paperwork reflects! So, new buyers of Yahama and Johnson, beware and go into the deal with your eyes wide open.

The jury is still out between me and my dealer. I contend that he owes me money because he sold the rig to me off the showroom floor. The boat was a 2009. The trailer was a 2009 and I had every right to believe that I was buying a 2009 motor.

There may be other manufactures doing the same thing, but he insurance companies are not going to be very flexible on this. Seems to me the manufactures are going to have to have a sale, get rid of the overstock and return to "business as usual." In the meantime, fishermen are caught in the middle, with little recourse outside of a court action.

If you've just bought a new Yahama or Johnson, better look at your paperwork. This issue, from what my dealer says, is a manufacture-wide issue and it affects every new buyer.

What say ye? <><

aj
    I went thru the same thing....but 10 years from now, it will not matter.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang John...I hate that for you man!! I know how excited you were about that and already had a couple misshaps with them. I hadn't heard from in a while and thought about how it was going with your new boat. I agree with what some others said...I would talk to someone about that...its false advertisement. Do you have any paper work or anything stating what it was?? Like an advertisment or anything?? I agree...they should have let you know that...you don't buy an 09 car with an 06 engine as said earlier. Seems they would right this in some way. Keep us informed on what they say or do.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast