Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fishing huge pond tons of alge help

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing huge pond tons of alge help

i fish a huge pond that not many fish especially in cold weather its miles back in the woods from the closest parking spot but thats not the problem

the big problem im having is that in the summer it has so much algae type slime on the surface its nearly impossible to fish and when fall and winter come well the algae just sinks to the bottom creating yet another problem when your fishing without a float if your lure hits bottom or near it you drag in a few pounds of green slime so i need suggestions on ways to fish it maybe lures that fall slow of something like that

this place is loaded with cover all natural because its in the middle of the woods
    and home to 1 beaver so it has a lot of trees laying over in it and a big dam at one end a few winters ago i took in a chain saw and laid a few more big trees over in it also there are huge white and black crappie both big gills and trophy sized green carp a decent sized creek feeds it so there is a good supply of food for them like minnows and soft craws
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a strip pit on occassion that has the same problem. The only way I can fish it is using a bobber, top water baits, or spinner baits moving fast. That's the only way I have found to fish it. The owner claims it holds some good Crappie which I am sure it has some, but the amount of Big Bluegill, and Bass seem to rule the roost. I usually catch three to four Bass in the 3lb range, and find the Bluegill in certain areas near certain banks. The owner also claims it to be deep, using an anchor, the deepest spot I have found is only 7' deep. Last years ice storm dropped so many trees into it, I had to take a chainsaw with me last summer just to cut a swath big enough to get the boat through and it was still a pain to do. The pit goes for about a mile and averages maybe 75' wide. It's a really fun place to fish because of the action. Maybe someday, I'll find some of the crappie he has told me about.

I can only suggest the methods I describe above to fish the slime. They work, but you are still limited on how you can fish it.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

When I fish the thin and thick algae I will use different size split shots,just big enough to go thought it.I cast with no float,I'm not a floater type guy but would be better in some cases.Depending on your line size and shot size the algae will help hold your jig at certain depths as it sinks though it.Usely the fish are nomore then a foot or two below the algae feeding,it has the sun blocked out.The fish will fallow the algae if the wind blows it from one bank to the other when feeding under it.If the algae has the lake covered and you know where the under water brush is start there in your search.I pinch my split shot on the line right at the hook nomatter if useing jigs or live bait.You can also listen for sucking or smacking sounds in the algae to find the fish feeding.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks both of you i will do that next time i go

Post Thanks / Like

when the slim is deep use a lighter bait to help controll how deep you fish

2 ways to fix it where wouldnt have as much as the prob tho hit up yuor local feed stores alot has stuff for ponds can get algaeside that will not hurt the fish
    the 2nd get you some streirle grass carp and drop in there if its as bad as you say get 5 or 6 and they will be whales in about 5 years lol would be fun to fight and put back
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

what the pond is and why its there is because its at the end of the airport runway that the Marshall university plane crashed back in the early 70's and killed everyone on it they made the pond when they made that airport and its just over the hill from the run way so its airport property and they don't care if people fish it as long as they walk in they hate 4 wheelers back in there its a long long walk back in there up and over hills so really no one wants to walk and fish it just me and about 5 other people do it and we talked and cont want to clear it up to good because we dont want to many people to start fishing it but there is a good place near it that holds some carp we may turn a few loose in it because im not gonna invest any money in it and then all kinds of people mysteriously start coming and catching the fish and start making fires and stuff that would ruin it for us all so the carp idea sounds best so that the clean it up slowly

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Whew ... just read that, all in one breath

Quote Originally Posted by slab_slayin_fool View Post
    what the pond is and why its there is because its at the end of the airport runway that the Marshall university plane crashed back in the early 70's and killed everyone on it they made the pond when they made that airport and its just over the hill from the run way so its airport property and they don't care if people fish it as long as they walk in they hate 4 wheelers back in there its a long long walk back in there up and over hills so really no one wants to walk and fish it just me and about 5 other people do it and we talked and cont want to clear it up to good because we dont want to many people to start fishing it but there is a good place near it that holds some carp we may turn a few loose in it because im not gonna invest any money in it and then all kinds of people mysteriously start coming and catching the fish and start making fires and stuff that would ruin it for us all so the carp idea sounds best so that the clean it up slowly
    but, seriously ..... make sure the carp you put into that pond ... are GRASS CARP (white ones), and not just Common Carp (the orange colored ones).

And READ THIS ... BEFORE you even consider putting Grass Carp into this pond : Aquatic Plant Management - Triploid Grass Carp (esp the part about screening off entry/exit points )

... cp