Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still asking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still asking

Hey guys, help a poor ignorant spider rig wannabe out, how fast do you go when spider riggin` with plastic baits? Been reading here a few months, more info. and willingness to share on this board than any other I know of, you guys sure know how to catch crappie. Thanks possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by possum1
    Hey guys, help a poor ignorant spider rig wannabe out, how fast do you go when spider riggin` with plastic baits? Been reading here a few months, more info. and willingness to share on this board than any other I know of, you guys sure know how to catch crappie. Thanks possum1
    Speed varies depending on what they want that day. Some days I just drift along but normally it varies between .5 and 1.5 MPH. I know that isn't much help but there is no hard and fast rule.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb I use when beginning to find out what crappie want is the shallower the fish on locator the faster I troll. Also if fish are deep will need to slow down to keep baits in strike zone. Find crappie, vary speed and baits until they tell you what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

As IBN says there is no rule. If I am pushing ( and I assume that is what you mean by spider rigging) the lures out the front .7 is about my top speed. I don't think you want your baits under the boat as the purpose of the long rods is to get the bait away from the boat so the speed can depend on depth you are fishing as another poster stated. Spider rigging is not a search for fish in open water method. You should know there are fish in the area or have structure such as a hump or beakline you are working.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys, I know where the fish are and how deep, guess I just need something to get me started. I will try them early monday morning. Again thanks. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins

Post Thanks / Like

Possum....When we're slow trolling with plastics and/or minnows, we watch our lines. Our best speed in any water and weather conditions is when the lines go back in about 10-15 degree angle. When facing the winds, you may have to speed up your trolling motor but still make sure the lines are back in that 10-15 degree angle. Don't get me wrong, but some days you may have to troll faster when they are more aggressive. We never troll slower than the 10 degree angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I went monday and tuesday of this week, tried out some of the suggestions that have been made, caught my limit of keepers both days, several on the spider rigs and several long lining crank baits. Sure can see a lot of advantages to spider rigging. Will experiment more next time. Thanks again fellows. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear . I wish I could use a spider rig. Here in PA, only 2 rods per angler . We have the goofiest laws up here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same Here

Its the same here in Ohio and many other States, two poles per angler. Having another angler with you will give you four poles in front for spider rigging, and its still very effective. The good thing about about having only four poles in front on the boat is that you can space the poles out more, preventing lines tangling up when you hook a white bass, catfish, or other bigger species of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Possum1, check out this site. A little article I wrote about spider rigging. http://www.crappiestuff.com/spider_rigging_101.html
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast