check this out... 65 mpg and it will never be sold in the US

The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have - BusinessWeek
    I support catch and eat! :D

Post Thanks / Like

And here's why:

"California ... and the Northeast remain 'hostile to diesel.' "

Thank you, eco-loons.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a diesel tractor and a diesel 4wd utility vehicle. Both have a sticker saying that they pass California emissions standards. Maybe the standards are different for agricultural vs transportation vehicles. Guess I'll look that up.
    Both of them are extremely efficient with fuel. The tractor with a 7' finish mower, burns less fuel than the 48" gas powered lawn mower. I'd say it burns about half as much.
    I often wondered why they couldn't use these type engines in cars. The diesel costs more now for some reason, but you'd use way less of it. So it would balance out.
    Do gooder since April 26, 2009!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShellQuacker View Post
    The diesel costs more now for some reason, but you'd use way less of it. So it would balance out.
    That makes sense; therefore, it would be completely lost on a politician.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd pay the extra cost for fuel for that kind of milage. Maybe we'll see that car here in the US if they give the car companies the money

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Goes to show you that the car makers can make them get alot better milage than what they are selling to us here in the good old USA. I've seen several Fords and GM products over seas that get way better milage than what we have here. I guess the countries outside the US tell them the have to meet certian milage standards be for you can sell them here and they do. Makes you wounder why our vehicles can't get that kind of milage and why you don't see those models sold here.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much need to bring them here to the USA. For $25000 a pop not too many people gonna throw out that kinda cash nowadays. Dont think many banks is gonna be loaning that much on a car either.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

They have had the technology for years. In the early 70's a guy invented an engine that would get 75 miles to a gallon. What I was told is that the government put the guy under. Too much money in the oil business. I saw a report where I think it was tata motors was planning on selling the technology for a high mileage car to be sold and built here in the US. I also saw on the net about a month ago where a Japanese company built a car that ran solely on water alone and did not need a charge, just refill and go, not sure how true it was though. They say that alot of those cars cant be sold here in the US due to safety standards.