Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with cold fronts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with cold fronts

This is what I understand so far; Before the front arrives the barometer drops just a little. Then the barometer bottoms out and stays there for a few hours. This is when the clouds come in and it gets windy. Then the front passes and the sky clears. The barometer then slowly climbs until is maxes out.

When are the fish supposed to bite like crazy? This weekend the fishing was bad before during and after the cold front.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fronts

THEY BITE BETTER RIGHT BEFORE THE FRONT. AND WHEN THE FRONT MOVES IN THEY GO INTO A NEGATIVE FEEDING MODE HOLDING TIGHT TO COVER IN BRUSH . yOU HAVE TO GET RIGHT DOWN IN THE BRUSH TO CATCH THEM. THAT'S WHEN A 1/8OZ JIG HEAD WORKS BEST.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree with Hair Jig, with one addition. The fishes will seek deeper water as the pressure rises and temps drop. As weather stabilizes, they should move closer to where they were before the weather changed.

Post Thanks / Like

aLL THE ABOVE. Be ON THE FISH A COUPLE OF HOURS BEFORE THE FRONT. nOTHING MATTERS IF YOU ARE NOT ON FISH. after the front slow down to a stop. fiah slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cold fronts

Quote Originally Posted by slimecoat View Post
    This is what I understand so far; Before the front arrives the barometer drops just a little. Then the barometer bottoms out and stays there for a few hours. This is when the clouds come in and it gets windy. Then the front passes and the sky clears. The barometer then slowly climbs until is maxes out.

When are the fish supposed to bite like crazy? This weekend the fishing was bad before during and after the cold front.

Thanks
    Falling barometric pressure is supposed to be the best time with the "bottoming out" being the best of best but so many other factors come in to play...moon phase...water clarity/level...current...fishing pressure...prior weather conditions(the trend for the week). You will have good and bad days on falling, stable, and rising barometric pressures. Just try to enjoy EVERY day spent fishing even though I realize you are probably trying to maximize your chances of catching fish....some days them fish forget to do what de sposed to do...lol good luck to you on all the days you're on the water...brim
    A man is not judged by what he has done for himself but by what he has done for others.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and have always expected good fishing just before a low front (ie: falling and low barometric pressure). However, it is not always a sure thing. I have got into them good during and after a low front as much as before it. All the other conditions surrounding the the falling pressure affect it too.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. The day after the front I went to look at the fish in the bass pro shopps aquarium. The gar were still on the bottom. The bass were motionless against the wall. The crappie were holding on the rocky bottom as usual. They fed the fish minnows and shiners but the fish really weren’t interested. The crappie completely ignore the minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

All I do is look out the door and see if the cows are laying down or not. If they are, back to bed.

My Papaw told me this years ago, and for some reason, it holds true 75% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charger4404spd View Post
    All I do is look out the door and see if the cows are laying down or not. If they are, back to bed.

My Papaw told me this years ago, and for some reason, it holds true 75% of the time.
    is true!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

In that case I would run out there and make them get up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast