Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wear Your Lifevest: Redux

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wear Your Lifevest: Redux

There was a report on the Charlotte news at 11:00 tonight that a man had fallen out of a small fishing boat on High Rock & drowned. My most profound sympathy to the family.

Here is yet another example of the importance of wearing a proper floatation device.

The report went on to say that several liquor bottles were found nearby. Perhaps they just happened to be there & had nothing to do with the accident, I hope not. But the possibility does offer us another word of caution. If drinking & driving don't mix, then perhaps drinking & boating don't either.

The bottom line is this: Fishing is a great sport, a great way to relax & unwind. Let's be safe out there & come back home to our loved ones.

Preaching mode is now off.

Take care

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Tugaloo, your message is timely and appreciated. This always seems to happen more this time of year and the rest of the summer around here. I've seen these characters running about, beers in hand, and you can't help but wonder if they are, indeed, an accident waiting to happen, maybe involving yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 of the SOS suspenders a few years ago. The auto ones. And My wife and I wear them all the time.
    At least if I have ha heart attack and fall out of the boat. They can find me.
    Sure don't won't them to have to wait until I float .
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sospenders PFDs

Am I missing something on these SOS Sospenders??? Some are manual and some are automatic. What triggers the auto ones. If water triggers them, Downpour??? Whoops. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller
    Am I missing something on these SOS Sospenders??? Some are manual and some are automatic. What triggers the auto ones. If water triggers them, Downpour??? Whoops. Mike
    Theres a little pill below the trigger. When water gets inside the folded life jacket( Rain has never set mine off and I have fished when the pump was running about all the time) The pill breaks down. Then the firing pin gos off.

The way they are made, You would have to stand on your head and let the rain run down into the jacket. Not saying that it could go off. But if you change the pill out every year. I don't think they Will.
    Mine are over 3 years old. And only one has ever gone off. And it was time to change out the pill in it.
    I gave $124. Each for them. And would buy them again. AS there not hot, And you don't even know there on.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sospenders PFDs

HEY!! Thanks a bunch for the information. My grandson has one (manual) that was a gift from his uncle. Sounds like it's time for me to invest in a pair. We both spen lots of time in our Fish Cat#4 float tubes. Although the grandson always wears his ,I often dispense with the life jacket because it rides up and rubs the back of my neck a lot in the float tube seat. These float tubes have 4" of foam in the seat bottom and 2" in the seat back. I have no doubt that the seat alone would float me but feel that I should wear a pair of Sospenders as insurance anyway. ( There are a few public places that require a life vest in anything that floats). Thanks again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

For that I would use the manual one. All you have to do is pull the cord and it will air us. AS the auto one may get down in the water in a float tube.
    Pete