Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repower or buy new boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Repower or buy new boat?

Well I have a huge problem and dont know what to do, so might as well turn to the c.com guys..I got a 1986 mercury that blew up on me and a 1987 that is a great boat and will last forever and i have it set up the way i want it....money is tight but i cant go without a boat..if it were you would you repower or buy a new boat? here is a pic to show condition of boat..thanks guys for any suggestions..

Post Thanks / Like

If the block is still in good condtion, have it re-built.

Re-power with a used motor.

I would not recommend buying a new motor and putting it on a boat of that age.

Buy a new boat only if you can afford to pay cash for it.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Do like I did 4 years ago when my 1986 Merc blew up......... Buy a new motor and put on it. Then it can last another 25 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the picture again.......That's a good lookin boat. Yep, new motor. If you need a new boat 10 years from now, you'll already have the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I was faced with the same situation first of this year...had a 88' 90 hp evinrude and a 88' loweline condor. Ended up trading the motor off for a new 90 etech. Don't regret it in the least...
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

i would suggest you get an optimax. you can pay for the new motor with the fuel savings. i bought a new boat this past may. traded a 7 year old skeeter fro a 2008 beeline. my payment is about $100 less per month. i was fishing 3 days a week and spending about $800 a month on fuel. $351 +$800=$1151 a month. Now i pay $259 a month and about $240 a month on fuel. $259+$240=$499 a month. so getting a new boat actually saves me about $650 a month. i fish a lot so it saved me a bunch. but even if you dont fish as much as i do. it will still save money on fuel. i know a great dealer that will be glad to give you a good deal on a new optimax if you are intersted just pm me. i wont mention it here. not on here trying to advertise just happy to share info with anyone that is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I would check around your boat dealerships and see what they have in the used department. My marine shop always has 5-10 motors for sale. Would not repower with new motor unless you were going to keep the boat several more years. The boat looks to be in great shape so you may want to keep it several years.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add that i am going to keep the burned up motor that is on the boat now and if i ever decide to sell the boat i would slap the old one back on since the boat wont be worth anything anyways...if i decided to get a new motor...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat. If you like the boat, put some fresh power on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome boat definately would repower it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast