PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use one of these portable Buddy propane heaters?

wasabi
12-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I am considering one of these portable Buddy or Big Buddy propane heaters made by Mr. Heater. It would be used in my boat in such a manner that it won't tip over. My question for anybody that uses one is how far away can one sit and still feel the warmth of the unit? I suspect I would not want to be any closer than 4' but no further away than say 6' given experience with somewhat similar designed propane heaters.

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3370720p275w.jpg

Illinoisgiller
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I use one of these in my ice fishing shanty.
I would question the safety of having open flame in a boat due to possibility of gas fumes. You wouldn't see the flame in the daylight but there is a light rolling flame from time to time across the ceramic.
This heater has a neat safety feature. If only slightly bumped, it will shut down. Also if a puff of breeze hits it it will shut down.
Works great inside a ice shack.
If you could feel the heat 4' away in an open boat I would be shocked. I can put a pair of damp gloves within an inch of the guard grill on the front for a short time in the ice shack. ole Mike

FroggerZack
12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe a foot or two max from you to feel the warmth. I had one in my boat yesterday and had problems with wind blowing out the pilot light which shuts down the unit. Where it really came in nice was cleaning fish! Set that bad boy behind you on high and it will keep you nice and toasty!

supergooser
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
my friend has one in his duckboat and it will freeze you to death. i use a mr. heater on a 20lb. tank. you have to be careful but it will keep you warm.

poppop
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I got one I used in a small, small camper during hunting season a couple of years back...it was all it could do to keep the camper warm. I definately would not buy another one myself. I doubt it would keep you warm on a boat at all unless you are enclosed.

gabowman
12-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I bought a new one off Ebay a year or so ago and wasnt pleased at all. All I wanted it for was to warm my hands but as already mentioned a small breeze would blow out the flame, even on high setting. I even tried blocking off the breeze with aluminum foil but that didnt help out much either. Since then, I've bought one of those golf cat heaters made by coleman. It doesnt have a blower on it, just heats a grid and is flameless (wind cannot blow it out) and have been very pleased. I just set it between my feet and light it up.

rieve
12-07-2008, 04:08 PM
i have one and use it in the boat to keep my hands warm but if the wind is blowing it will blow it out. If the wind blows it out it is probably time to leave any way.

gabowman
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I bought a new one off Ebay a year or so ago and wasnt pleased at all. All I wanted it for was to warm my hands but as already mentioned a small breeze would blow out the flame, even on high setting. I even tried blocking off the breeze with aluminum foil but that didnt help out much either. Since then, I've bought one of those golf cat heaters made by coleman. It doesnt have a blower on it, just heats a grid and is flameless (wind cannot blow it out) and have been very pleased. I just set it between my feet and light it up.

Here's the one I am using now. Is a good hand warmer heater.

wasabi
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks, guys. I can now see how it would not do good in an open boat like I have. I might give that golf unit another look.

beagle man
12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
nice post wasabi, I also was thinking of such a heater, now I think not. you can always count on good advice on here. later man

gabowman
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I got one for sale. Practically new! Anybody still looking for one?!?:D

Crappisaurusrex
12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
these are also good for heating up beenie weenies. just make sure you crack the can open first!:o

Nightprowler
12-08-2008, 07:05 AM
This works good in a hunting blind.

chaunc
12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I use a coleman single mantle propane lantern in my ice shanty. I set it in a plastic bucket and set it in front of me. Keeps me pretty warm.

Don G
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info on the golf cat....After reading all the posts on the Big Buddy I got a little worried about using it on the boat...Finally found the Golf Cat at Dick's Sporting Goods..It WAS NOT with the camping stuff..On the way out of Dick's I went by the Golf Shop section..This is where I found the Golf Cat...$79.95....

Arkie John
12-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I fish out of a Sweetwater 21-foot pontoon boat. For the cold days, or even the nippy ones where the wife wants to be comfortable, (in about 15 minues) I can put my enclosure up to break the wind. To make it toasty, I have my Mr Buddy heater. It does well and brings the cabin to 'comfy' condition in about 5 or 10 minutes on one burner. The enclosure is about 8' X 8' X 7' .

But like the other guys said, it will not tolerate wind, so I would not recommend it for an open boat. A catalytic heater or something similar might be more appropriate...and more durable.

aj

To one and all: "It's okay to say, 'Merry Christmas!' "

sticko
12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I used catalytic heaters for years they do good in a boat to heat your hands and feet but wont keep your whole body warm if it is windy.

Walmart.com: Coleman Catalytic Heater: Camping (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9870602&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9870602)