Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jumping Blugill?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jumping Blugill?

I was fishing in my pond last Summer with a Pop r. A top water lure, I was popping it along and got a bite and set the hook and started to reel it in and thought to my self not a very a big bass wasn't fighting very hard. when all of a sudden I see this Blugill jump out of the water about a foot high! I thought that's wild, never seen a bluegill jump! And then as soon has he landed in the water a huge explosion happened! A 6 or 7 pound 23inch bass Inhaled the pop R and Blugill! knocked the Bluegill off when he nailed it, but the treble hooks got him! Now he but up one heck of a fight!

Post Thanks / Like

gotta love fishin.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Never had one jump to "free" a lure ....

but, I have seen them jump out of the water to "grab" a dangling lure

Many years ago, at a small private lake, I was fishing off a floating dock. I was throwing a in-line spinner ... due to the time this happened, it was most likely a "Shyster" or possibly a small "Mepps" (we're talking mid 1970's). I was catching Bluegill, just about on every cast. Tired of casting, I laid the rod down on the dock, with the spinner hanging over the water ... about a little less than 1ft from the surface of the water. Seconds later, the rod jerked and began bouncing around on the dock ... and when I lifted it up, there was a Bluegill hanging onto the lure
    Thinking this to be a fluke, I removed the fish and laid the rod back down in it's original position. BAM .. another 'gill :p This went on for awhile, until I got tired of removing the fish from the lure. I reeled the lure up a little higher above the water's surface, and headed to the cabin. The Bluegills continued to try and get to the lure, jumping out of the water in vain attempts to grab it ... and keeping my girlfriend and I entertained, well into the afternoon.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have had Bluegills to "Jump" when running out to the end of the line while Fly Fishing .. never had this to happen any other way. See UR line rising and you are ready for a Bass to jump and out flies a Blugill.

Put a lure in the water and U never know whats goin to happen ...

"Fishing" but not all ways "Catching"

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 12lb. catfish that nearly pulled my rod off of the dock and then headed to the surface where it tailed walked.