Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG and I MEAN BIG CRAPPIE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default BIG and I MEAN BIG CRAPPIE!!!!

http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/1579376.html

Possible World Record Crappie Caught

For Mother's Day, Peggy Hopper from Crofton got a new Shakespeare rod and a Zebco 33 reel. She wasted no time in putting to good use. While fishing at a watershed lake in northern Christian County she caught what may turn out to be the largest black crappie ever caught in the world.

The slab weighed in at 4-pounds 14-ounces. It's over 21 inches long. The crappie is more than a half pound bigger than the previous Kentucky state record and six ounces bigger than the world record. It's size and weight have been confirmed by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife.

The state of Kentucky does not differentiate between black and white crappie for its state records, but the International Game Fish Association does. The current IGFA world record for black crappie is 4-pounds 8-ounces. That fish was caught at Kerr Lake in Virginia.

Peggy caught her fish by casting a Crystal Shad Rooster Tail spinner around a small log next to the bank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they both may have been ready to spawn. Just an opinion...

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know squat about the IGFA. Do states recognize records that the IGFA don't? I guess I need to take time and read their web site. Why I asked is because there are 4 states that have crappie 5 or more pounds listed. Here is my source:http://hotspotfishing.com/records/default.asp

You have my curosity up.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. the IGFA has nothing to do with state records. Some states like Alabama and Tennessee recognize black and white crappie and list largest catch for each, while others, like Kentucky and Virginia lump them all together.

The IGFA (International Game Fish Association, I think) was originally set up to provide the records on saltwater fishing, particularly for the people who participate in international billfish tournaments. It wasn't until much later that they started tracking records of freshwater fishing. I think it was in the 70's or early 80's, if I remember right.

Nevertheless, that new record if the one to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this lady's husband and have fished the watershed lake this was caught in. I allways caught lots of crappie, but all were stunted. This was several years ago, and maybe they got the populations in line, or this was the proverbial big fish in a little pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Man....that Is A Good 'un!!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Now thats a nice crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I don't know squat about the IGFA. Do states recognize records that the IGFA don't? I guess I need to take time and read their web site. Why I asked is because there are 4 states that have crappie 5 or more pounds listed. Here is my source:http://hotspotfishing.com/records/default.asp

You have my curosity up.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For the IGFA to recognize a record I believe they require a form to be filled out and submitted. I would think there are a lot of state records that have not been verified by IGFA. I know I can't search their records unless I become a member for $35.00 per year. I don't believe you have to be a member to submit a record however. Therefore one could be an IGFA world record holder and not hold the state record for the state in which the fish was caught. Then there are all the line class records. I wonder if that was 10lb test spooled on that Zebco?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW- Hope She can catch its big sister too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast