Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Death Star

The sports section of The Tennessan 6/2/05 thurs. had a picture of what looked like Death Star attractor. Larry Harper of Fulton Ky. has come up with a soultion for an annoying and common problem? Just passing this on. www.onohang.com lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like someone has been hanging around this site and decided to market what they learned .... funny thing is , I bet you do it yourselfers don't have half that cost in 5 of 'em vs. 1 or 2 of the "Store Bought version "
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Death Star

Thats kind the way I read it too. He has applied for a patent reckon the do it yourself people will have to pay him royalties. lol
    Today is a great day

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that and started to e-mail Charles Searcy yesterday and tell him that the name that Crappie.com fishermen came up with for them was "Death Stars". Just to set the record straight.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Fiddle......

Our member "Crawfraw" was the one who made the first referrence to the O-No Hang Fish Attractors looking like "Death Stars" (about a year ago) ... and I guess I kinda took the ball and ran from there :D (as a friendly jab at "Killer" - who brought these attractors to our attention, in the first place)
    I don't think I'd get into any "royalties" battle, though .... because George Lucas may want a "cut"

The attractor kit shown in the Grizzly Jig site is the same one shown in the link in Ribit's post ....... the only difference is the cost of shipping !! (The Grizzly site is about $3 cheaper)

I don't think any of our "do-it-yourself" members have anything to worry about ..... they're going to make their "attractors" and drop them in their waters, without worrying about "patents" or "royalties". And they're going to share their ideas & accomplishments with the other members - free!
    But - even so .... at around $10 per "sphere", that's still a reasonable price - if one can obtain the PVC "branches" for nothing. ....luck2ya ...cp

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

That sphere can be replaced by a $3 basketball. I made 2 with balls. Leave your pvc in 10' lengths and run them thru the ball. It is not perfect looking because each pipe can't occupy the same center. They bend a little but worked well. That was before I discovered Bamboo, (Thanks Jerry Blake) which IMO is the best thing I've ever fished over or made for an attractor.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Well since I'm pretty new to this site, I'm not familiar with the "Death Stars", but I know for a fact that I could make something similar for a lot less than they're charging on that site. Looks like a good design. I may knock a few together after I get my boat on the water.

-S

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Smitty/Stingray .....

How about some pics for our members ??

Smitty - I grasp the idea of the "basketball" as the "hub" ... but, once a hole is put in the ball, it deflates - do you fill the ball with "quickcrete", after inserting the PVC rods ? (would that negate any need for concrete block "feet" to sink/anchor the "star" ??)

Stingray - not all of us are "mechanically inclined" enough to build their own ... not all of us are "home owners", with the space & tools to build such devices ... not all of us are privy to close proximity of the supplies & articles needed to make devices of "any" nature - those people may see the price of a "kit" as being "worth it".

The bottom line is - the device works ... as do the "spinoff" versions, and so do most of the "other" attractor devices -- but, only if placed in the proper place/depth. ..............luck2ya'll .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the idea that popped in my head after seeing one of the death stars. I found a few old bowling balls (check your closet) drilled about 14 holes in it small enough to drive the 1/2 PVC pipe in with a small hammer, you can assemble in your boat when you find the spot you want to drop it at...it dont take much weight to sink a bowling ball.The ones I have put out have been pretty good fishing so far...People at the boat ramp look at you like you are crazy when they see a couple bowling balls laying in your boat...lol Some of the bowling balls are pretty messy to drill so you may want to do this outside...
    Good luck and happy bowling...lol
    Kelly Matthews
    www.weisslakecrappieguides.com
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason why it has to be PVC? I was just thinking of welding some metal pipe into the star formation. I know it will rust eventually, but I'd feel better about throwing something in a lake that will biodegrade over time. Who knows how long that PVC will stay down there.

-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast