Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How In The World Would You Catch Crappie Here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How In The World Would You Catch Crappie Here?

Anybody have any idea how to catch crappie on this bridge?

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

wait till the water fills back up? Looks a little low tide, but I can make out a bit of brush in the water.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry... if I were fishing that bridge I'd first curse the engineers for not giving me columns (hahaha)! Seriously though... I'd work the shady side on the down-flow side of the bridge. I usually find a lot of crappie hanging 'downstream' of the bridge column just like a trout would do in an eddy behind a rock in the stream. They will wait there and nab the bait as it came through. So if you're casting, cast upstream and bring it down like the fish would normally swim downstream and you'll get 'em! Vertical jigging will work wonders too.

But a bridge without columns definitely is, albeit, a challenge to fish!

Lastly... hopefully the water's been drawn down and that it's not normally like that (with the channel running like it is. If that is how it is, man... I might find me some other place to fish!

Post Thanks / Like

stand in the middle and drop ur line in the water

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you could build a dam to flood the river that the creek under the bridge flows into.

Then drop the middle section of the bridge into the river channel using dynamite.

And let the lake continue to fill until the road surface is 20-feet underwater.

Then fish with minnows and jigs around the bridge railings that have really nice spaces between them for the crappie to hang out in.

If it all comes together just right you can get a mess like this:

Last edited by Jerry Blake; 12-05-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I was partially right, the water DID fill up. Nice history of the area along with those fancy doo dad pictures that money can buy. Thanks for sharing, and reminding me that I need to sell one of my kids so I can afford one of those doo dad thingy bobbers.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh havin to build a dam & flood all that area sure seems like lotta work & $$$$. I mean they have fresh caught(from Canada) crappie for $4.69 @ pound at our local store here in Illinois. :D:D
    Great picts Jerry & great catch, you always seem to have some big crappie to post. Yep your fish are as tall or taller then ILL crappie are long:D
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention having a buddy to enjoy catching the fish with you! Darryl and I had a great time "exploring" that old bridge this morning and catching a mess of crappie off of it. Then we went to Gayle's restaurant in Daisy for lunch and asked if they had any pictures of the old Self Creek Bridge. They have a lot of old pictures on the wall including a picture of the "new" Self Creek Bridge that was built when Highway 70 had to be re-routed to accommodate the lake. Sure enough, in the back room they had several pictures of the old bridge with some history in the captions on the bottom. All this construction and demolition took place in the late 40's and early 50's - waaaaay before my time.

Thanks Darryl, for scanning the pictures and sending them to me.
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 12-05-2008 at 11:13 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

It was one of the funnest days fishing I've had in a long time. After you turn blue, you remember to breath as each hawg finally finds its way in the net. Doing all the detailed sonar work and then getting the historic pictures just made it all the better. Conditions permitting it will produce ample numbers of fish for years to come. Learning something new every time you're on the water is a given, just sometimes it's more than other days. Knowing the old, sunken bridge is there was one thing - learning its lay, getting all the waypoints marking key features and identifying the details like the railings, ends, etc. makes all the difference. Worth every minute of the 3 hours it took to work it.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

When building habitat, Jerry always says, "If you build it, they will come." I think this also follows the same axiom as "If you put forth the effort, it will pay off."
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast