Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of the 3 batteries, how do I know which one is for starting is which for trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Out of the 3 batteries, how do I know which one is for starting is which for trolling

Sorry for such a stupid question but How do you determine which one is for which ?
    There's also a switch to switch among 3 batteries.
    Thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannalearn
    Sorry for such a stupid question but How do you determine which one is for which ?
    There's also a switch to switch among 3 batteries.
    Thanks for all the help.
    You could always turn on the trolling motor and then unhook the leads from one of the batteries. Keep unhooking until you find the one that shuts down the trolling motor.

Do they all have something connected to them?

Is there anything on your trolling motor that says it is a 24v trolling motor?

If you have a 24 volt trolling motor, you will have 2 batteries connected to your trolling motor.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    You could always turn on the trolling motor and then unhook the leads from one of the batteries. Keep unhooking until you find the one that shuts down the trolling motor.

Do they all have something connected to them?

Is there anything on your trolling motor that says it is a 24v trolling motor?

If you have a 24 volt trolling motor, you will have 2 batteries connected to your trolling motor.
    Thanks for such quick response GABoy,
    They're all connnected to that switch. On the Trolling motor foot operator, it says 12V & 24V.
    I'll do what you suggested when I get home tonight.
    Again thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for such quick response GABoy,
    They're all connnected to that switch. On the Trolling motor foot operator, it says 12V & 24V.
    I'll do what you suggested when I get home tonight.
    Again thanks.
    Anytime!

You are welcome!

I am not all that good with this sort of stuff, but I know if you unplug the leads from the battery/batteries that operate the trolling motor you can at least identify which one(s) run the trolling motor.

Let me know if that works.

Does the switch run to all 3 batteries?

The reason I ask is because I just bought one of those switches and I am about to wire it in, and I will not be connecting it to the starter battery at all. I am just going to use it so that I can switch between my 2 trolling motor batteries without having to disconnect and reconnect my leads once the battery dies down. So, it may be that if it is only connected to 2 batteries then those 2 are your trolling motor batteries.

Another way to sort of tell is look at the number of wires hooked to the battery. Hopefully, there will only be one set of wires on the trolling motor battery. The only thing that should be running off you trolling motor battery is your trolling motor. Your starter battery might run other things, such as your aerator, bilge pump, fish finders, etc.....
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; generaly those switches are to isolate the main starter battery for your engine from what is called your 'house' battery. the 'house' battery is the one that runs everything else. that is on those boats that go on salt h2o. the reason for the both is for when the main starter battery runs down (eng. won't start, been along time between charges,etc.), you can back it up with the house battery.
    for us that recognise the REAL pourpose is to be able to switch between trolling motor batteries with just a twist of the wrist, it is a true convience. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

I tested the batteries today and 1 of the 3 is bad. I was able to charge 2 of them to full. that 1 dead battery must be depleted and I think it's the starting battery since I've had trouble starting the motor the last time. I'm gonna change that battery. Do I just take it out and change it like a car's battery ? The reason I asked because it's right next to the gas tank and whenever you connect the terminals on the battery, there're sparks. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I tested the batteries today and 1 of the 3 is bad. I was able to charge 2 of them to full. that 1 dead battery must be depleted and I think it's the starting battery since I've had trouble starting the motor the last time. I'm gonna change that battery. Do I just take it out and change it like a car's battery ? The reason I asked because it's right next to the gas tank and whenever you connect the terminals on the battery, there're sparks. :D

YIKES....this has the making of a bad home movie!!

I would try to pull the leads as far away from the gas tank as you possibly can, and cover up the gas tank with a blanket or something.......connect it far away from the gas tank and then put it back into place. Once it is connected, there shouldn't be anymore sparks.
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

howdy again; you might want to check to see if pos. is connected to pos. and neg. to neg. sounds like the cables are crossed! if they are correct try connecting the pos. first THEN the neg. you can get sparks when you hook up neg. first. if that fails check out the whole wire run as you may have a short in there someware. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

howdy again; you might want to check to see if pos. is connected to pos. and neg. to neg. sounds like the cables are crossed! if they are correct try connecting the pos. first THEN the neg. you can get sparks when you hook up neg. first. if that fails check out the whole wire run as you may have a short in there someware. would also explain why starting batt. is dead. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarfu
    howdy again; you might want to check to see if pos. is connected to pos. and neg. to neg. sounds like the cables are crossed! if they are correct try connecting the pos. first THEN the neg. you can get sparks when you hook up neg. first. if that fails check out the whole wire run as you may have a short in there someware. would also explain why starting batt. is dead. tarfu
    tarfu is right wannalearn, I wouldn't buy another battery untill I found whatever it is that's putting a load on it. It could be a short or even something like dash lights or ignition being on. Anytime you see sparks when you touch cables to the posts, especially close to the gas container, you need to find the power drain asap, if for no other reason than safety. If you put a new one in, it will be pulled down just like the old one. There should be no closed circuits on those cables if everything is off, if there is still current, it would probably be a short. Check every switch on the boat to make sure nothing is turned on, but as GABoy said, don't spark the battery unless it's out of the boat or the gas tank is removed. If you have a volt/ohmmeter, put it on R X 1000, disconnect the cables, touch the red probe of the ohmmeter to the pos. cable, and black to the neg. If you see any deflection, (or if it's digital, any increase in numbers) then you have proved a power drain or a short. If there is no change in the ommeter, drop down to R X 100 and try again. Let us know what you find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast