Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Comments On Auto GPS

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Comments On Auto GPS

My daughter is wanting a GPS for her car. Something simple that just gives directions with ease of use. I've looked at TomTom 125/130 as well as Nuvi 200/350 for comparison. I know nothing much about 'em personally. From those that know, what features are "needed" as well as being worth the money...what would be a decent entry level GPS we could both (my daughter and I) be comfortable with, both price wise and usability?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I bought a Garman Nuvi and it is EASY to use. We really like it and the price was quite reasonable.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has the garmin nuvi she loves it easy to use,easy to read.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up the Garmin Nuvi 200 at Wally World for $97. Very easy to use and does all i want. If she needs track back feature, you'll need to look at the Nuvi 205. Even though it doesn't speak street names, it does have voice prompts for the turns and other functions, ex "turn left in .2 miles", it just doesn't mention the street names.

Check this site for features and Amazon for typical pricing and reviews:
    GPS comparisons: Garmin nuvi comparsion chart

Garmin is #1 in the GPS world.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

My wife bought me the Garman Nuvi last Christmas as well.
    It's very handy for finding roads that aren't that well marked upon approach.
    However, it's only as good as the preloaded maps it uses. I've used it for routes that I know where I'm going already, and it will insist that I take exits that I know I shouldn't. Then if you take the exit, it scolds you with "recalculating". Many of the roads in our rural area aren't even on it.
    That being said, it's still a handy gadget.
    2 things.
    Even with the GPS, have MAPS and preplan your route, doublechecking with Mapquest or the like.
    Make sure it's set for "quickest time" not "shortest route". The shortest route can be a nightmare.
    Do gooder since April 26, 2009!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Another vote for Garmin

Got the Garmin Nuvi 260 back in the spring. May be a step more that you want gabowman, but that little booger is as handy as a pocket on a shirt (especially when a Missippy country boy goes to places like Detroit with 10 lane freeways) Just punch in an address, and it'll get you there with heads-up turn-by-turn. It's loaded with all kinda neat features. I did a little consumer comparison before I bought it, and there was no hard decision to make on what brand to get.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Had a tom tom--didnt like it--got a garmin nuvi its great- good luck

Post Thanks / Like

my wife loves her garmin nuvi.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Garmin, just got back from a trip to Maryland, my first, and could not have gotten around with-out my Garmin. Also have 2 Garmin handhelds for my boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was thinking the Nuvi at Walmart for $97 but after the comments I checked out more of 'em and ordered the 260 last night. I think she'll be pleased. With her playing softball at college I bet I'll get some use out of it too. Thanks again!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast