Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Back at em - 3 Dec 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back at em - 3 Dec 2008

Our day started @ 10 am, not 4 pm like some other ppls - we were in it for the long haul.......left the way way way back confines of Lynnhaven and headed straight for the 3rd Island in the vessle know as Driftwood, a 1961 all wood Trojan of Doug's- warm dry and cozy no matter what the weather is outside.......we drift the rocks with no takers what so ever......On board are Doug, our DICTATOR Capt & authoritarian ruler. Then the young,vibrant permanent of the KNOT~YET @ age 79,Harvey. And a friend from the rail of Rudee and TF member ART.

Art & I's friend Lonnie is at the 4th catching a few mid range fish while anchored up, after the call we head over there and drift along side.....Art gets a fat 24 - in the box ......I get a 22....toss it back.....Art 21...back it goes......Harvey,Doug and I catch and throw back a dozen more between the 3 of us.....while Art set them free from his bow perch......we box a couple more in the high 20's around 26...... Art was casting a storm, so was Harvey- Doug had on a B/A and I was using a Stretch 11 (R&W)- we are not going to keep all the big cows from the onslaught to come at the high rise.......

at 3pm we head over to the high rise and see the guys way east in the other reports......thats where Doug wanted to go......over ruled......Dictator Doug has been hog tied and sent below decks.....I am driving now.......pull up to the ONLY spot I have ever EEL'd in my life......not another boat in sight - well almost......drift threw the pilings over and over waiting on the tide to switch.....watched a small Sea Pro pull a few upper 30's off the pilons and finally we anchor up as the tide eased out of the mecca known as the Chesapeake Bay........Put out a spread of EEls with oz's of 6,8,10,12 and 20 ounces on the TLD's .......way way way back I casted a free floater on the big Shimano 8000 spinner of Doug's......Here comes Tony to anchor to our stbd......then along comes Paige II and sets up right between Tony & I at least he asked Tony, I guess the old wooden boat dont deserve any respect.......1/2 hour after dark, Jackass arrives.......Our 2 deepest rigs hail the critters and feed 3 eels to them......swap to light sinkers and its on just as much as any one else......I dont need nor care to submit and citation paperwork so I keep my fish for the Freezer.......Harvey & Doug set theirs free - a 46 and a 45 1/2 ......Art hauls in a HAWG at 49 inches or so ........40+ pounds and he will file his freezer paperwork today........what a kick ass 12 hours on the water we had today ........target species- ROCKFISH~ Mission accomplished......the Ole DRIFTWOOD ruleZ once again .........
    JUST
    AS
    IT
    DID
    IN
    THE
    OLD
    DAZE

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

nice job, those are some big stripers
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some nice ones! I'm sure they were a lot fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

those are some nice fish racn, good job guys
    Never take the advice of someone who has not had your kind of trouble!

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness thats some biguns... good job

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Them ARE hawgs RACN. Congrats on your fishing trip.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking rockfish! I was stationed at the Naval Air Station from 85-90 there in Norfolk. I have fished the Outer Banks on several occasions for bluefish and stripers, lots of memories. Keep posting fish like that and I may have to head to CBBT. We stopped going to the Outer Banks about 5 years ago, the stripers don't seem to winter off the North Carolina coast like they use to. Looks like Virginia is the hot spot these days.
    The heavens declare the glory of God and the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Post Thanks / Like

Last winter we never crossed the state line ! Not had to this year either.....they are right out from - from Cape Henry to Sandbridge......right now as I type this, STUCK IN THE TACKLE SHOP......reports over the radio, they are stick'n it to em !!

Went again last Saturday......here are those 10 cows....

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info RACN, hope you can catch that 50Lb fish. Here's a photo of a limit of stripers I caught on the Ohio River 2-weeks ago. The fish were 5-8Lbs and were caught on a plastic swim-shad. A good size rockfish on the Ohio River is 10-15 Lbs. My biggest fish this year was a 25.2 Lb fish caught back in January. Unfortunately, I did not have a digital camera then.

The heavens declare the glory of God and the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Finn View Post
    Thanks for the info RACN, hope you can catch that 50Lb fish. Here's a photo of a limit of stripers I caught on the Ohio River 2-weeks ago. The fish were 5-8Lbs and were caught on a plastic swim-shad. A good size rockfish on the Ohio River is 10-15 Lbs. My biggest fish this year was a 25.2 Lb fish caught back in January. Unfortunately, I did not have a digital camera then.

That looks like smithland dam.. Man, I miss fishing there. My brother stills guides for stripers below Smithland, Barkley and Kentucky dams.
    Last edited by Quicksilver1958; 12-30-2008 at 11:49 PM.