Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: keeping hands warm?

Post Thanks / Like

Default keeping hands warm?

For about a month, here in Ky., the high daytime temperature has been in the 30's and 40's. So I start out all warm, gloves on etc., catch a crappie, take off gloves (I don't want to get them wet), put crappie in live well, now handa are wet, dry them off and leave hands a bit cool, then down through the morning the hands get colder and colder and finially so cold I can't tie on a lost lure replacment.

So I'm asking you this. Do any of you northern fishermen have any equipment such as gloves or handwarmers, etc that work?

thanks
    fair weather

Post Thanks / Like

Get one of those Big Buddy heaters from Bass Pro. You won't have no hand problems anymore. Cracker has one over on the Tenn. board and he turned it on when we went fishing last week. I believe it puts out 15,000BTU's. Not bad and has room for 2 propane bottles and you can even get the adapter so that it runs on one of the big tanks like you grill with. I ain't from the North but it gets mighty nippy down here as well. :D

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

i just by those disposable hand warmers at walmart. i put one inside each side coat pocket and just put one hand at a time in my pocket and keep fishing with the other . it works pretty well but i live in alabama so it may not get as cold here as further north.

Post Thanks / Like

100 % wool fingerless gloves can't be beat. works even when wet.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about the gloves getting wet. You'll be surprised how long you can go before they are wet enough to get your hands cold. Your hands are getting cold because you are getting them wet and letting them dry even a little in the air. Go get a pack of 5 -12 pairs of brown jersey gloves. The slightly insulated ones if you can find them. They are thin and tight enough to handle line and cast, release fish and do just about everything. Then if they get too wet just toss em on the floor and put a new pair on. Personally I never have to change them and I bet you won't use more than one pair most nights. They make excellent fishing gloves. They are all I use even in the teens and my hands are never the first thing that's so cold I have to quit to warm up.

Insulated Brown Jersey Work Gloves w/Red Lining / 126-1592 01 / Northern Safety Co.

http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/Bro...2_p_0-251.html
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 12-03-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Good call,Grizz,thats what I do with the brown gloves.I keep the extras tucked in my waistband next to my body,they are nice and warm when I switch

Post Thanks / Like

Talking cold hands

I also use the brown gloves but i keep a box of disposable plastic gloves in my boat , put them on over the cloth gloves , keeps hands warm and dry, can even hold a minnow. If one gets a hole in it put a new one on.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I like the wool fingerless gloves too, but I take them off if I have to reach in the water. I keep a towel someplace handy to dry. A trick I learned from some utility workers is to put the small disposable handwarmers under the elastic wrist on your coat or sweatshirt. They keep the blood flowing into your hands, and stay out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tropical blood, and no one gets colder than me. I've figured out how to keep all other body parts warm, but cold hands get me, too. In my opinion, there is a huge difference between gloves and mittens. Thin mittens help my hands stay warmer than thick gloves. I have some fingerless gloves that have a mitten "flip over." If you need the dexterity of bare fingers, you just flip the mitten part back. This works pretty well for me.

I also like to bring a thermos of hot beverage with me. I get thirsty out there even in winter, and having a hot beverage to sip on helps keep me warm all over. I use an insulated travel mug, so it doesn't really help keep my hands warm, but drinking a mug or two of hot beverage during the trip helps keep me comfortable.

Someone mentioned bringing a big gas heater on the boat. I'm not sure if they were joking or not. I'm sure that will keep you comfortable, too, but I don't know about the safety of that. Nylon outerwear, plastic bits and pieces, even monofilament fishing line--seems like too much could go wrong if you're pumping out the BTU's. Heating the great outdoors ain't doing much for global warming either. We can find ways to be comfortable without being unnecessarily wasteful. Just my opinion....take it or leave it as you like.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the jersey gloves they get wet i just put on ano0ther pair. I also bought some thin insulated gloves at rural king with rubber on the hands they work well but when you go to take a fish of the slime gets in the rough area than it all over your pole.
    can't catch'em at home

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast